Win 8.1 Pro x64 - Weird Mouse Lag in Games

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dback, Sep 27, 2013.

1. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    FWIW your guess is actually backwards. There is an unusually much higher migration of gamers to Windows 8 than the normal population as charted by stats on Steam. So either most gamers are seeing an advantage with Windows 8 or else they are just a naturally adventurous group of people!

2. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    Almost every Game gives you a higher amount of fps under Windows-8, compared to Windows-7. I didn't check it for Windows-8.1 yet, but I guess that it will be at least the same, if not even better again.

The Game-Play is much smoother as well, like in Battlefield-3 for an example.

:)

3. dback

dback MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    #43 dback, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    (OP)
    Killing the explorer task definitly helped a lot =)
    But it's not 100% fixed. ^^

Edit: I just tried Counter Strike Source and it's working fine without problems

Edit 2: In CSS i have raw mouse input enabled, so i used google and found out that CoD4 is not using Raw Input, it's using Direct input.
    I found a program called Rinput (Description: Use this tool to eliminate Windows acceleration.)
    I injected the .dll and i had no mouse stutter anymore =)
    But since i can't use this on Punkbuster enabled Servers it's useless for me
    So it definitly has something to with Windows acceleration

4. dback

dback MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    #44 dback, Oct 3, 2013
    (OP)
    So anyone knows how to fix Windows Acceleration?
    Maybe i used the MarkC Fix the wrong way, but it didn't work for me =/

5. dsbig

dsbig MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    I have problems getting along windows 8 as I play older games sometimes. and windows 8 dont support these older games. some people are working on work arounds,but it will take time.

6. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    #46 TONSCHUH, Oct 3, 2013
    Yeah, there are some older games which don't run with 8 / 8.1. Someone did already benchmarks for BF4-Beta and it showed again higher fps when running Win8 compared to Win7.

If your PC is strong enough, then maybe give VMWare etc. a try, to play the older games or go for a dual-boot with Win7 + Win8.

I don't use the Windows-Standard-Mouse-Driver, as the Mouse-Software for my Mice worked always under Win8 / 8.1. What do you use ?

7. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    #47 sunesio, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Dude, it's not about acceleration.
    It's still like MarkC said. There is a delay.
    And your own observations do support that.
    Actually i had the same issue a while ago while playing CSGO (was still on 8.1 Preview there) , but in this case i had to switch to rawinput 0 to fix this
    because on 1 i had some bad stuttering with the mouse. Still a weird mouse feeling after that. So either you believe that this is the problem (the way windows is polling the usb device) or i can't help you there.
    You should go back to Win8 or something until it gets fixed. 8.1 is still in MSDN and not officially released, actually, so either you're lucky and it will be fixed with one of the first real windowsupdates
    or it will take longer because they don't see that as an issue until the majority complains about this kind of problem.

And yeah, Gamers are more adventurous but if they see that their loved games do not work anymore as supposed they'll let it go and switch back to their running system.
    Especially if Microsoft is adding more and more crap every release to give somebody the feeling that they're safe. e.g. Drivers can't be installed anymore from unknown sources
    and you have to use workarounds and even then it doesn't work everytime. I'm asking myself what do stupid people do these days, that something like this have to be implemented!
    Last seen on my Smartphone Software, wasn't able to update firmware on it, because of drivers, but that's a whole other story.
    Never had a problem with "security issues" while being working as an administrator in Windows, now i even have to get permission to get on the toilet, even with deactivated uac. (Copying files to C: and so on..)
    No possibility to switch this all comfortably off. The more "advanced and secure" Windows does become the more it's freaking me out.
    Still missing Windows 2000. I want to be in full control of my system, with nothing going on my nerves. Microsoft should change its policy and make Windows a customizable system (preferrably while the setup)
    where i only use the modules i really need. But that will never happen and some time in the future Microsoft will pay for that. :)

And no, most gamers do still use Windows 7 x64, i don't know what statistics you've looked at, but you're wrong.
    But one thing is sure, Gamers would change to Linux instantly if all / most games would work there.
    But that's a long way, Linux doesn't even support all of the power management modes, so a notebook with Linux couldn't compare to Windows.
    You have to change modules, using 3rd Party scripts / tools / whatever. Just ugly, too. It should all work out of the box.

8. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    #48 TONSCHUH, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    I was working years ago with Novell-Netware (CNA | 3.12 / 4.11) and spent some time playing around with certain Linux-Distro's and I would say that Linux just didn't improve enough over all these years to make it really accessible for non-geeks.

There is no way that Linux will get a larger market-share than M$, as long M$ is existent.

M$-Products are superior, if someone likes them or not. Just compare Open-Office with M$-Office. So many years in development and still not even on par with M$-Office. There are many more examples.

Back to the mouse-lag:

Believe me, if I would experience any kind of lag and would be able to blame a certain Windows-Version on it, then I would roll-back, as every kind of lag just kills the fun in MP-Games.
    It's not fair to blame M$ for it, that a Game-Company didn't extent their game-support and delivered a patch or other kind of solution.

That sounds like EA with their crappy support for Dead-Space 1+2, where you have to un-plug every single extra USB-Gadget beside your Mouse / Keyboard / XBox-Controller to be able to play the bloody game. EA is blaming Companies like Logitech, that they would have to find a fix for the endless camera-turn in-game, if you have a G13-Gaming-Keyboard connected for an example. Yeah right, because there are millions of other games on the market which just run fine without any issues, even if you have 20 different gadgets connected

9. Double_X

Double_X MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    I have the same problem since windows 8.1 in CounterStrike Source, switching to Direct Input helped a lot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    So is the consensus that direct input (hardware input) does not have the lag, but software mode does?

11. dback

dback MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    I think yes ^^

12. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Wish I knew how to mix it in Minecraft =\

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. dback

dback MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    You could try Rinput
    Just google "rinput fnatic" and download it from their site

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    If this is true; this is kind of common knowledge I thought? A software cursor should be slower to update, and generally more laggy, than a hardware cursor. A software cursor might be required in some rare cases for compatibility reasons though, but other than that, shouldn't even be an option.

Unless there's something I'm missing?

15. Razor 116

Razor 116 MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    So what is the likelihood of this being fixed in the full release for games that do not use or have a raw input option? I would be using Windows 8.1 right if it was not for this issue and Windows 8's non-unified search is just incredibly annoying amongst other things so I'm back on Windows 7.

16. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, sort-of. It's like a quarter of a second behind the actual postition now. It was previously like 1/100th of a second behind.
    With the markcc fixes its back to something like 5/100th of a second behind. It ain't good enough still, but it's better.

17. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    The mouse problem I have in 8.1 might be different than some of the problems mentioned here. In my game, which is old and doesn't have raw input, when I try to play in 8.1 it feels much slower compared to regular 8. I usually use 800DPI in 1920x1080 resolution but in 8.1 I have to use like 2000DPI to compensate. I already know about DPC latency, proper mouse fix and all the usual stuff but I cannot get the same feeling that I have in all previous Windows versions. Basically I am just looking to get the same feeling as Windows 7/8.
    Edit: RInput causes input lag in this game so I don't use it.