Win 8.1 Pro x64 - Weird Mouse Lag in Games

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dback, Sep 27, 2013.

1. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    Yeah your mouse is 125Hz though so you aren't getting the same polling problem. Gaming ones usually are 500Hz or 1000Hz now and in 8.1 the polling is messed up and won't go past 200ish.

2. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
  3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think you need specific mouse drivers and stuff to modify the polling rate in Win8.x
    You guys will likely need to get appropriate software from your mouse manufacturers websites.

I looked around briefly and could not find any other way to modify the polling rate in 8.0, and I'd assume the problem also translates to 8.1

4. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    I just did a clean Windows-8.1-Install, as my last Install was an Upgrade from Windows-8 and I still get my ~1000Hz polling rate when I check it with dimr.

:)

5. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    I already knew that the directx checker shows the normal rate. the usb is definitely bugged though because of what occurs in game. as i previously stated, i thought the mouserate checker was bugged at first but its not. it is actually showing the correct rate. it also works fine in 8.

6. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    #88 Puremin0rez, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    #90 sunesio, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    Bulls**t. The default mouse driver (by windows) SHOULD be able to do this.
    And if it's not the mouse driver, then maybe it's something in the USB ones.
    Or we're even wrong about that and it's something different inside the kernel, which would be way out of our hands then anyway.

If there is a driver out there who can fix that, then it would be only a workaround for something Microsoft did wrong.
    My mouse does not use drivers. I can change polling rates usually with pressing certain buttons while plugging the mouse in.
    Zowie AM.

So don't say that it is about the drivers and by repeating it (maybe from various people here), it doesn't get truer.

Btw. Mouse drivers are overrated anyway. The default ones were fine and ideal in the windows predecessors.
    Only "Gaming" mouses do need them most of the time for the Polling rates or because they're skipping pixels and things like that and if that needs to get fixed.
    (Many Razer mices and other interpolating piece of s**t mices like mentioned in this thread.)

8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    You do know that all drivers from M$ are sourced from vendors right? Yes there are default drivers that M$ distributes based on common hardware, but any mouse needs a driver - it's the link from HW to SW.. you can't say your mouse doesn't use a driver??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    #92 sunesio, Oct 19, 2013
    You do know that's bulls**t in most of the cases right?
    In 7 and 8 the default drivers were dated to 2006.
    It's like a universal driver. Sure there are mices where Windows do have a driver, like for instance a Intellimouse.
    But even THEN you are able to use the default UNIVERSAL driver which was FINE all the time. But now with 8.1 it isn't.
    But yeah, update your drivers. The solution to everything... Oh wait...

Sure, you don't have to believe something from me, but i had to aim precisely and competitive for many years / many hours per day until a few years ago.
    Usually i couldn't care less about competitive today but still... if something like this doesn't work as intended i'm getting big ocd's
    because this is a big f**kup from MS. No reason to protect "mighty" Microsoft there or looking for another scapegoat.

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Maybe you're right... I just seem to remember buying a Razer mouse that had like super polling stuff and I couldn't get it to work in Win8 without using their firmware modifying software.

11. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    #94 TONSCHUH, Oct 19, 2013
    Default M$-Drivers are only for basic functionality. Would you really stay on Basic-Drivers from M$ ? Plenty people don't even suggest to update drivers via M$-Update, as they sometimes brake things and that's not just since 8 or 8.1 .

If I buy a mouse with true 8200 DPI / 1000Hz - Polling and Macro-Functionality and the possibility to save profiles etc., then I want to use all the extra functions and will for sure not use only basic M$ drivers.

It doesn't matter if you get lag with the M$-Mouse-Driver, because a basic functionality is still given. Why use as a Game-Dev the retarded way for the mouse-input and not raw-input ? That's not M$ fault.

12. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    The default Windows drivers are greatly preferred, yes. Installing drivers like Logitech adds latency and makes the mouse feel different than default Windows drivers.
    Also those who compete at LANs can't really f**k with mouse drivers, so it's best to stay on the most consistent drivers which are Windows default.
    Sometimes they are needed like when configuring a Razer Deathadder and setting it to what polling rate and DPI you want. After I do that then I uninstall the drivers and never use them again.
    So yes, default Windows drivers are the best. The only people that care about customizing their 8200DPI, the color of the lights on the mouse, and setting up macros are noobs. No offense.

13. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    #96 TONSCHUH, Oct 19, 2013
    Ok, my system is back up and running and I tried CS:GO with Raw-Mouse-Input and there is no Mouse-Lag existent for me either.

It still looks like that only people with certain Hardware- / Driver-Combo's (USB + Mouse) are effected.

If you prefer it this way, then I can't help you unfortunately. Maybe you are lucky and there will be a fix which sort things out for you.

We just prefer things in a different way and there is nothing wrong with it, but as this problem is not existent for everyone, it's (maybe) not really M$'s fault.

14. nowakjan2000

nowakjan2000 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    My mouse problem is somewhat different. After having updated from windows 8.0 to 8.1 my razer deathadder 2013 no longer opertes at 1000 MHz polling rate (although it is set to in Razer Synapse). Mouse Rate Checker reports 200 MHz polling rate. Before installing razer drivers it reports only 65 MHz. If this wasn't enough, in BO2 it behaves in a very strnge manner, as if the sensor didn't register movements properly, getting huge delays, making it almost unplayable. Everytjing was ok in windows 8.0, right from the start, even before installing razer drivers my mouse operated at 1000 MHZ polling rate (checked in Mouse Rate Checker).

15. nowakjan2000

nowakjan2000 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Indeed, Direct Mouse Input Rate reports 1000 MHz. The problem seems to concern Synapse software and/or BLOPS2MP itself as I have played BF3 without any issues and with raw mouse input turn on. Talked to Razer Support only to learn they are working on an updated Synapse software. Will wait for the update and report back.

16. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012