Win 8 Legacy to UEFI reimage advice..

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by harrismail, Sep 25, 2013.

1. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
    A bit of advice..

I've have set up a full Windows 8 installation on a non UEFI Dell 6400 laptop (with all updates and Office etc)
    It's not licensed but I'm using it as a master image (with Acronis True Image) to help with any new family Win 8 PC's

My question is...

I have successfully re-imaged a new Acer Windows 8 laptop with my "prepared" image which works fine and becomes fully licensed when I enter the embedded serial from the Acer motherboard... but because my pre prepared image was created on a non UEFI machine I have to disable UEFI on the target machine. It all runs OK but what are the drawbacks - if any, with this method?

2. ~Yoshi

~Yoshi MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Why don't you simply run SysPrep /generalise and then change your boot option to UEFI mode?

3. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks for the info.

If I leave the new (re-imaged from my non UEFI image) laptop in legacy boot mode it works fine and is fully licensed so is there anything that benefits greatly from UEFI for the average home user?

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Benefits? not really. Not unless you are booting to a drive that is larger than 2TB or are using an OEM system that puts itself in sleep mode and has a fast-boot option.
    If your system does not match that criteria, you won't notice any benefit.

5. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    +1, I am using OEM system with secure boot enable on a GPT disk with UEFI, I can confirm that w8 and w8.1 are running faster and better than installing and running on a mbr legacy mode.