Win 8 Pro Media Center - Guidance please

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by -Jim-, Jan 27, 2013.

1. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    The $14.99 page initially wanted my Win 7 serial. I used the make and model of my Lenovo work Laptop which was Win 7 when sold and then had it srtipped off to go back to XP. Unfortunately it has no COA tag on it, so I bailed out.

Next I tried to buffalo with a Toshiba it but then it said I wasn't elegible, but I noticed I wasn't working off a Canadian Site. So I changed it but got the same results. No Joy!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #22 redroad, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    Some have said that WMC in 8 is a duplicate of 7 .. I am running WMC from W7 on home network .. Installed W8 pro WMC to make transition down the road after severe testing because my home network with W7 HTPC is working flawlessly .. The WMC add on is only going to be $10 down the road but if your trying to get a cheap copy of W8 pro now $39.99 is your best shot unless someone volunteers a $15 promo code ..
    1st scenario present xp install on M55 is the path for $39.99 if you apply on x64 machine
    2) install W7 x64 msdn ISO on M55 activating with Daz loader and then going for $15 upgrade if you can get the promo code .. Those are the choices I see currently

3. craftbrewer

craftbrewer MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    That's what I have heard, WMC has not changed one bit from windows 7 version. If your running a PC solely for WMC, there is no advantage getting Windows 8 WMC, just stay with Windows 7.

4. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Gents,

I guess I'm stuck then. I'm too cheap to pay $40 to try out Win 8, and I expect no one will volunteer a $15 promo code. o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  6. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks again for the assist

reroad & all,

I appreciate the effort to try to get this Box onto Win8 on the cheap. I'll still try to make that happen.

I decided to complete the Win XP install and all updates. Then I made a Ghost Image on the data partition before burning an off machine copy onto DVDs.

Then I did the Bios Mod for Win 7 from a different post (Thanks anyway redroad but I saw your post with the link after I already downloaded it elsewhere.)

I had to muck about a bit to get Winphlash to work with it as there were no instructions. That's okay as I've done a few other boxes before. Then I pulled the Hard Drive and put in a 500 Gig Drive for Win 7 Ultimate, and all the Tunes. Win 7 is now installed and activated. It's now downloading 344.5 Megs of Updates.

It's just too bad it's not Win 8 Pro.

Thanks again for the assist.:cool: