Win 8 Trial apps cant be reinstalled after reinstall of windows

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Bradmax57, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Bradmax57

Bradmax57 MDL Junior Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I have a windows 8 tablet, asus me400c anyway it started acting funny so I reset it back to factory settings and wiped everything, now the apps I had on for my son which were trial ones, angry birds etc which were more than enough for him wont install.

The trial version of this app can't be installed, A trial version of this app has already been installed on this PC. You need to purchase this app to use it.

I guess i am going to have to buy it then? Some of them such as angry birds I probably dont mind as I may even use them myself but my son is only 3½ so the trial versions of most games are more than enough for him.

I'm just wondering if the reset function doesnt fully wipe the tablet? But I cant see anyway of getting into the bios etc, any suggestions welcome :)

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #2 msr, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    Its why i am sticking with win7, at least you can install trials over and over.

Interesting that you say they closed this loophole is software.

What you should of done, is make a backup of your c drive first, if acronis works on your tablet. Then you could of restored that backup.

Do you have a backup of your c drive before installing your trial softwares? Are you sure you do not have a cdrive backup partition, you can restore?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I guess you installed those Apps using Windows Store, am I right?

If so, you should know that the store keeps track of downloaded and installed Apps using the Computer ID. The reset to factory settings will still use the same Computer ID and there fore, if you try to download and install again, the store system will block that. That applies for the Trial version downloaded from store. Free version no problem, you could download as often as you like!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bradmax57

Dec 31, 2008
    Yeah thats right, so obviously the only way around that is to change the computer ID but that would mean another purchase of windows which I dont think ill bother with :D

5. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    My guess is you could first syn your apps settings, then the apps should appear in whatever PC that's also syn'ed. But I have not tried that. :p

6. Bradmax57

Dec 31, 2008
    But that doesnt sync the trial ones I dont think, oh well its not the end of the world

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm not sure that would work for paid and therefore Trial (as long as they're unpaid) versions from Apps Store.

8. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    That's why I say guess, I'm on locaL A/C, and don't want to start a MS a/c just to try that. :biggrin:

9. Bradmax57

Dec 31, 2008
    But you still need an account for store? anyway bizzarely i restored back to factory settings again its now let me reinstall the trial apps with the exception of a few that had expired, weird...

10. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    I completely reformatted my laptop when Windows 8 was acting up and all my trial apps reinstalled just fine.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It works different on an Tablet! If you reset an Tablet using the Manu function, it will do just that: Reset, and keep the ID's which maybe already hard coded in that reset! On an PC the new installation will also create a new Hardware/Product ID.

12. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    On any tablet I have ever worked on, when I hit reset, it RESET! No personal data was left behind and the system was completely restored considering it was reset from ROM.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes. so it works.

If I understand the OP right, we're talking about an Asus Tablet running Windows Windows 8 and that differs from other Tablets, mainly Android! Windows is using Product ID's and those will be send to MS, same as on PC. That Product ID has nothing to do with installed Apps or private Data, it's system/OS related.

14. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    You need to use MS a/c to get the apps, but for apps syn(or any syn), the user a/c has to be started by a MS a/c. :p

15. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    My question now is it Windows 8 x86 or Windows 8 RT because like I said, I reinstalled and everything is peachy trial app wise!! If REAL Windows 8 (Not RT) try a reinstall.

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It is x86 according to Asus Website!! If Asus uses the same way as Lenovo, you could not just re-install from external location and using the Reset Function would also do just that: Reset! The Lenovo has a special modified Windows (Core) x86 with all special drivers embedded. And Asus will not differs much if any.

17. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Asus is NOT Lenovo!! So if there are drivers available, go for it!!!!!!!

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's just true! But I would still be very carefully to use to install windows 8 from external Source! Internal, no problems!