Win Server Essentials 2016 lost client desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by MrG, Feb 18, 2019.

1. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    #1 MrG, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Last night I backed up my main rig (kicking self for not testing 1st on a test rig) w/ Windows Server 2016 Essentials (WSE).
    After the backup finished I found I could not boot into my original client desktop from which the WSE backup was 1st initiated.
    I am able to access the desktop folders/files thru Explorer: User/UN but the PC wont boot into the original desktop as before. It only boots to the WSE network desktop which is not anything like the original desktop.
    I have the server turned off & LaunchPad disabled but still no joy.

I googled several choices but always end up w/ client Restore links, nothing for booting to previous Desktop.

Don't know where to turn now :(

SOoo I am asking for help here to request if anyone can suggest how I can return to the original Win10 boot desktop.

Edit: There are 2 user names in explorer:
    Network files: JSmain
    My Original files: JES Main

If nothing else I suppose I could just copy or move the files over to the network, not sure about apps though, I gotta test that

2. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    After copying all the Desktop folders & Documents folders & files, etc I was back to close to normal but running a bit slower & a hick-up here & there.

SO today I checked my System Restore points (SR) & fortunately I had one from 2/12/2019 so I saved some folders & files to my SATA storage drive & ran the SR & I am back to as before my above fiasco w/ WSE 2016, even my more current documents were left w/ updates & changes after the RS point was created, even my Journal app w/ a entry for yesterday still had the entry!

So all is good AFAICT ATM.

I will now create a new partition (w/ W10 OS) exclusively for WSE 2016 backup to run from on the rigs I want to backup.

3. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    This another problem I am having w/ Windows Server 2016 Essentials (WSE2016).
    After updating one of my Windows 10 OS exclusive BU clients to v1903 (19H1) I am no longer to back-up that PC.
    The server Dashboard/Devices/Backup status shows it 'offline' even though it is actually online & it also says that machine is not setup (anymore), even though it is listed there.

I just thought I'd give others here a warning that Win10 v1903 may break your WSE2016 BU for that machine.
    I did google & found a MS tip (didn't work) & others too that I haven't tested yet.

4. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    After jumping through around 5 more hoops I tried changing the OS DNS (it appears the 19H1 update blanked the field) using the google DNS sequence.
    That worked I life is good again on that setup.

5. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    So last night I wanted to backup w/ WSE2016 my new T480 Laptop w/ W10 NAV & all my financial & investment links I use + another Main W10 OS.

Started by installing v1803 (offline, on a new partition) because v1809 broke the connector software on a clean install (for me anyways) & went online (after some tweaks to stop the WU from running the feature update) & installed the WSE2016 connector software & got it running, did a BU.
    Amazenly this time WSE2016 connector didn't want to change the OS to one w/ WSE login credentials, the original ones worked fine.

Next I update the W10 OS to v1903, tweaked the WU again & WSE2016 settings (got updates) then ran the WSE BU again.

Life is good now, 3 PC & 1 laptop all BU to WSE w/o any hitches.

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi MrG strange o_O well I make severals installations of Windows Servers since W8.1 2012 R2 until W10 2019 (some editions) with no issues except AMD drivers for video, I almost stay crazy for solve this issue remembering that all OS's have GUI and my machine is PC not Laptop ;):)
    so I return to W10 LTSC and never had issues is one wonder this OS trust me...:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...