Win10 1903 and VMWare Workstation 15.1

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tommiy, Jun 8, 2019.

1. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Hey all looking for some assistence. I have a win10 1803 machine that WU offers 1903 to. I've tried an inplace upgrade of the machine through WU and this fails. Fundamentally does the install and then reboots and sits at the windows logo screen forever. A reboot and it rolls back with an error thats just a generic driver related issue. I've tried media creation tools and I get the exact same outcome. I've rest the machine and I get the same outcome.

I've done some searching and there are reports that 1903 and VMWare don;t work together due to the sandbox.

I've looked through pages on the forum but can not find anything specific. Is it possible to get 1903 to run in a VM? Any suggestions on how to get this to actually work? Appreciate a link if some one has one?

Thanks

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Only when sandbox is enabled, afaik, it's the same with hyper-v and vmware, it's one or the other.

3. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I suppose its disabled by default? I have no idea as to why a reset VM then will not upgrade to 1903. I've tried at least a dozn tiomes now...there is nothing even left installed application wise but it still can not get past the windows logo at boot after install. Just tried again and still the same...pity it takes so long to get that far 0x20017 is the end result if left fopr a number of hours in the history......

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    All my vm's upgrade fine, only one real system wouldn't, when i disconnected all hdd's and only left the system ssd connected, it upgraded too.

5. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    OK Thanks so some thing it does not like even after restting it to scratch. What a PITA this is...too many hours wasted already. Thanks for the info I'll try some thing else. Probably need to start again from absolute scratch. Would be great if window would actually tell you what it had problems with during an upgrade rather than cryptic messages.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Check setupact.log.

7. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    No errors or warnings in setupact.log. Its all good and everything says success......Thanks for the thoughts thou.

8. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I had some issues recently with the Hyper-V crap in Windows 10 1903 and did like 2 hours of searching for how to totally absolutely get it disabled so it did not interfere with VMware Workstation 15 (or any virtualization software other than Hyper-V itself). It took a while but I finally found this info on a Microsoft blog and I did it and voila, on the next boot everything worked exactly as it should. I cannot say this will or won't work for the OP or anyone else, but it worked for me and any issues with the sandbox or guard stuff was disabled as I wanted.

Hope this helps...