win11 requires TPM 2.0, is this a deal breaker?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by god_paul, Jun 25, 2021.

1. god_paul

god_paul MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    TPM 2.0 is listed as one of the core requirements for win11...

Is this really a must? That will force lots of folks to change motherboard/CPU to install win11?

I thought TPM2.0 is really needed to encrypt disk but not that much a key component if we don't need to use bitlocker...

2. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    My guess is they're trying to push this to make it seem like they're doing their part to fight ransomware attacks but then they'll back down when they realize that absolutely nobody will buy the OS when they realize that they have to buy a new computer or TPM chip specifically just to upgrade their OS. As far as I can tell this chip only does encryption and hardware encryption is garbage because it cannot be custom. People will be able to crack it, it's only a matter of time. I guess it's better than no encryption, but does that mean that they also plan on having mandatory encryption of the file system? I wonder.

4. god_paul

god_paul MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    It still says at least TPM 1.2 needed
    TPM is popular on business laptop, just in recent years start to become popular on consumer laptop
    But for DIYers, I don't think the majority of motherboards are shipped with TPM chip...

Guess MS wants to use TPM for other stuffs rather than just Bitlocker.

5. Mellipes

Mellipes MDL Senior Member

Jun 17, 2021
    no expert, BUT heard similar sorts of stuff when Windows 10 was coming, caused a lot of concern, and came to nothing. I am willing to bet its more hype than substance, and even if it turns out to be true, there will be work-arounds.

6. tvcat

tvcat MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    This will hit hard since most motherboard either come with no TPM or only TPM header.

7. GaGiLu

GaGiLu MDL Junior Member

May 4, 2017
    If you use one time a workaround, install the system windows 11 successful, than the topic should be done no ? Or is it known if updates also require tpm 2.0?

8. CubanB

CubanB MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2020
    People have already found workarounds in a similar way to installing Windows 7 on modern hardware, while using the Windows 10 installer.

9. TPM is complete crap and not at all necessary for encryption. TPM is just an artificial requirement for bitlocker. M$ is pushing it because HW manufacturers will need to pay royalties to install the TPM chips on their mobos.

10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Just updated a Windows 10 system with TPM 1.2 to Windows 11 with the stock installer, 0 issue.

11. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    I was able to enable it in Bios on my Gigabyte Z490 Vision G motherboard. I think all Intel CPUs from last 3-4 years have it and just need to be enabled from Bios. Name is Platform Trust Technology in most BIOSes.

You can even use Dism based utility like WinNTSetup_v4.6.3 to restore Windows 11 wim file to required partition. This gets you a fresh setup and bypasses TPM requirement all together. You need a winpe bootable usb though.

12. wutno

wutno MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2014
    Artificial requirement to boost PC sales. Disgusting. Guess I'll stick to 10 until 2025 then finally switch to Linux. My Ivy Bridge machine is still perfectly usable.

13. spedia

spedia MDL Senior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Microsoft claims that TPM >1.2 is needed for features like Bitlocker and Windows Hello.

I don't think that's anything that programming and UUID hashes cannot solve.

14. crypticus

crypticus MDL Senior Member

Jun 29, 2015
    #15 crypticus, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Just put this to your iso's sources folder. and you are good to go. go install win11 on a toast maker.

If you want to make upgrade instead of fresh install then type "gpupdate" to cmd if you still have any errors.

i bet microsoft will back down on even TPM 1.2 rule. they can't afford to lose any user.

Attached Files:

15. tvcat

tvcat MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    I see, thanks and will check that

16. mbc07

mbc07 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2011
    Except that a TPM chip isn't strictly a required if your CPU supports Intel Platform Trust or AMD fTPM. All 8th gen and newer Intel CPUs and Zen+ and newer AMD CPUs have this...

17. I have a 7th gen cpu

18. fardeen

fardeen MDL Member

May 11, 2010
    i don't even have tmp installed :( this is such a bummer. i will use the unofficial win 11 build then

19. mbc07

mbc07 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2011
    Check your BIOS, you might still have Intel PTT support. Before the 8th gen, not all models had Intel PTT, only some, even as old as the 4th gen (for mobile CPUs). Windows 11 will only officially support 8th gen and newer or Zen+ and newer on AMD side, but as long as you meet the minimum requirements, you can still install it...