win11 requires TPM 2.0, is this a deal breaker?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by god_paul, Jun 25, 2021.

1. mdlguy10

mdlguy10 MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2010
    I don't know why anyone would need to buy a TPM module at all.
    If you have Intel 8th gen or newer (or AMD Zen+ or newer) then you can enable PTT or fTPM in the BIOS and that's it.
    If you have older CPU's and add a TPM module, you will still fail the CPU generation check. So there is no point.

2. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    There is no cpu generation check in the installer.

3. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Microsoft has a history of failed public adoption of OS every two releases.
    Windows 11 has good chances to follow Windows Vista and Windows 8 in the public perception if it breaks away too much from the existing accepted hardware requirements.
    Windows 10 will still be supported for a long time.

4. wutno

wutno MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2014
    4 years isn't a long time, ch100.

5. mdlguy10

mdlguy10 MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2010
    Some people say there is a check. Or at the very least, some kind of feature check like SSE version.

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #66 kaljukass, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    No need to worry ... there's always a solution.
    Do you remember, when Windows 8 came out, then was problem - does your processor supports PAE, NX And SSE2, only if the processor supports, is possible install Windows 8. The same was required for W8.1 and for 10, now it has forgotten and nothing happened.
    Also was required Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver and screen resolution at least 1366x768 and some more stupid requrments. Nobody didn't love Start Screen etc. Now is everything forgotten.
    No need to worry - this TPM is not the end of the world.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. okatomy

okatomy MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    #67 okatomy, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    "PAE, NX And SSE2"
    Those were supportet by almost all Machines newer then a Pentium 4. And a Pentium 4 that time, noone seriously wanted to use it.
    "Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver and screen resolution at least 1366x768"
    That was already a Vista Requirement, at least to run Areo Theme.

But requiring TPM ist now a whole new level to make well capable hardware which is only 5 years old obsolete for no reason. TPM became a must for OEM who wanted to preinstall Windows 10 Anniversary Update in 2016. So almost all Machines sold so private Consumers which are 5 years and older will be not Capable of Upgrading to Windows 11 ,as TPM was nearly Non-existant in the comsumer devices, wich is unacceptable as they usually are more than capable of standard tasks like office, Internet, Streaming and light Gaming.

Breaking compatibility with 32bit Only Machines, MBR and None-Secureboot Machines would be acceptable as that would only affect Machines shipped with pre-Windows 8. Those systems like Core 2 duos can als well stay on Windows 10 for their rest lifespan, as they are no were near recent demands from a performance and energy efficiency side of view.
    But any Windows 8-shipped Machine should be upgradable to Windows 11 in my eyes. The Windows 8 or even early windows 10 Machines of Age 5 to 9 years are too young to have dead feature Support in 2021 and dead sercurity Supoort in 2025.

8. okatomy

okatomy MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    yes there are options to bypass at the moment. the big question is will those options be available in the final/RTM build?

As per Microsofts current official communuication, all Windows 11 isiders/testers with unsupported hardware (no TPM) must downgrade to Windows 10 (upon 11's release) as they will not get Widnows 11 RTM.

9. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    When Apple adopts an equivalent requirement, and they will, the outrage will be nonexistent.

10. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Check your BIOS settings. I had a relatively new Gigabyte board and 8th-gen processor but couldn't find any signs of TPM or secure boot, thought I would be having to buy a new one at some point.

An hour inside of their weird BIOS menus and I found the Intel PTT and turned that on, now Windows sees a TPM 2.0 device.

Finally discovered that I had to turn off all the Legacy CSM, and find a UEFI upgrader for my GeForce GTX690 card, before the Secure Boot items were even visible at all.

The best part of all is that absolutely none of this is documented in the motherboard's manual, so I had to learn it all on my own.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    But MS expects Grandmothers to figure it out.

12. boe323

boe323 MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2011
  13. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    The "Its OK because...." culture from team Apple has always perplexed me. They kind of hate you if you are not actively giving them $ but people somehow feel loved.

14. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Apple deals with their own hardware only. They have had UEFI for many years, and I expect most (if not all) supported devices to also have SecureBoot and TPM.

15. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    MBR and Legacy Bios will continue to function just fine with the 11 kernel havnog no hard blocks for either of these, the only kernel block is the sse 4.1 requirement.

16. Space Dandy

Space Dandy MDL Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Having only recently upgraded to windows 10 education on 2 of 3 PC's I am finding this all quite funny and predictable tbh. Just another way to force consumers to use their PC the MS way and spend more cash for PC upgrades a good portion of us do not need....you know for our own good.