win11 requires TPM 2.0, is this a deal breaker?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by god_paul, Jun 25, 2021.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2016
    I can't seem Microsoft using the number 13 for DirectX.

2. Mellipes

Mellipes MDL Senior Member

Jun 17, 2021
    NOTE - from the horses mouth - its not any technical requirement for windows 11, its their "PRINCIPLES". No idea what that means.

Like politicians, look at what they DONT SAY.

3. parafer

parafer MDL Member

Dec 20, 2016
    Their principles translated into their technical requirements. What the statement means is simply they are rethinking their technical requirements (based on voluminous feedback, no doubt).

4. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Their aggressive move toward hardware level security doesn't mean much for people like my mom. Mission critical systems owned by high value targets on the other hand really do need a new way of protecting data so it makes sense in that segment.

In the end the average consume will massively contribute to the e-waste problem for no real benefit.

5. parafer

parafer MDL Member

Dec 20, 2016
    Agreed. The only thing that surprises me in their statement is that they refer to OEM partners with regard to their builds, implying that somehow they were not sufficiently communicating with them to realize what their interests are (hardware and otherwise), which just seems strange.

6. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Tech youtubers will tell the truth about all of this but it is unlikely that the average Joe/Jane watches them.

The more mainstream messaging will dramatically exaggerate the threat and necessity of the "...solution...".

7. parafer

parafer MDL Member

Dec 20, 2016
    It doesn't at all surprise me MS wants to implement their principles on OEM partners (new devices going forward) but in having to please upgraders as well, they will have to appease lower-spec OEM partners also. This was foreseeable, though, so this seems to point to a chronic issue in the MS bubble, in that they dream away until the rubber hits the road -- meaning, they weren't listening and couldn't imagine how their ideals would have to be adjusted. That's a problem but one that has been well-proven over the years.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It started off as an OEM systems only OS when it still was 10x, so the OEMs will ship it with 11 pre-installed on compatible systems.

9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I wouldn't get my hopes up. The average member of this board doesn't even understand the telemetry included in Windows 10 and the later updates for win7/8/8.1 and Windows Store Apps.
    I don't think I've ever seen a video adequately explain what was being collected, how it was transmitted, and how to effectively block it using group policy editor or similar non-destructive methods.

Actual clear concise communication doesn't really exist about these topics. I guess that's the curse of the turbonerd. We're not really good at communication.

10. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza MDL Junior Member

May 19, 2013
    #112 CaffeinePizza, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Same idea when I see people on the internet screaming "Just use Linux!!!!111ONE". Don't get me wrong. I love Linux. I use Debian on all of my servers and prefer a Unix-like CLI. I used Linux as my main desktop OS for ~4 years or so, using Linux Mint and Arch (I was even in the 2013 Steam for Linux Beta!). However, the average Joe doesn't even know what version of Windows they are running, much less Linux. ("What's a Linux?") As someone who does IT and computer repair as kind of a hobby, the first thing I ask is, "what version of Windows is installed on your computer?", and they typically don't know. The only thing they know is they push the "on" button, click the little blue E and type in "facebook" into Google or Bing. This is the majority of computer users.

And for anyone who is new to LInux, they are immediately thrown into the CLI when they get help online from users, being fed strings of shell commands that they blindly run. God forbid you're a noob and ask a simple question in an Arch forum. They'll basically end the thread with "RTFM." (To be fair, the Arch Wiki is basically the Bible of Linux and is applicable to more distros than just Arch.) I do understand why Arch users are like that: to keep from cluttering the forums, essentially.

An interesting example I saw the other day on a Linux Facebook group: user is running Linux Mint 19 and can no longer log in to their system. They type their password into the login screen of <insert display manager that Cinnamon uses here> and it just resets back to the login screen with the same prompt. Come to find out, the system has no free space left on the hard disk. How do you find out about this? You go cat/less/more/grep in /var/log and find what caused the issue (via SSH I guess? Or boot into single user?). Yeah, I can do that because I know what I'm doing. Joe who just loaded up Ubuntu 20.04 on his Acer doesn't know how.

I use macOS, Windows, and Linux daily; albeit, Linux for servers. It just amazes me the circlej*rk that Linux communities (read Phoronix forums) become. A Linux user is like a vegan: you'll know within 30 seconds of meeting them.

Just like Microsoft can screw themselves over these arbitrary new requirements.

Sorry for the rant. Back to topic.

Also, the Windows 11 installer ignores requirements when it detects it's in a virtual machine: I've discovered. I do not have emulated TPM enabled in the Hyper-V VM, and I installed the leaked copy with no issues and then updated it to the Dev channel.

11. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    #113 Palladin, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021

Attached Files:

12. There are more then event logs.
    Autologgers
    Diagtrack Logs - P ARIA etc etc.
    Hidden Scheduled Tasks
    Hidden Ps files executed in background main path are : programdata/microsoft/
    LocalAppData/microsoft/
    Appdata/roaming/microsoft/
    sys32 , syswow64
    then coming to next points
    unneeded hell services ,
    metro apps ,
    Systemapps specially search & etc etc.
    then
    msftncsi
    reg key values data needs to be forensicated too.
    etc xetc more n more.

Win7 is the best just Ciep reg tweak n test via tcp dump that what has been sent to where in form of data packets

13. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
  14. Yes i do agree Privazer is good source for cleaning junk as well as some part of security over privacy.
    Security over privacy is new chapter cant share it anywhere in this online world as a hint the same we do for salting in encryption.

15. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    The TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot requirements can be bypassed by using dism.exe to directly apply the install image, or by disabling the checks altogether in the registry before running setup:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig]
    "BypassTPMCheck"=dword:00000001
    "BypassSecureBootCheck"=dword:00000001

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. sge520

sge520 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009