Win7 32bit but bootable in old AS Rock motherboard (like Hiren Boot DVD is)?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gorski, Mar 30, 2014.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally I wouldn't post again but, OK!!

First, there NO SATA/IDE connectors at all. You've either SATA and/or IDE, on older MB IDE only! SATA has it's own controllers while IDE too!

Secondly, the ASRock K7S8X MB is using an SIS746FX Chipset which didn't supports RAID.

Thirdly, I didn't know what PCI to SATA Controller Card you're using but I believe that Card didn't has it's own BIOS which you could access using a Hot Key within the Computer BIOS Boot Process! Or am I wrong? If I'm wrong and you could access the BIOS of that PCI Card, there would be an function for the use of either RAID or IDE.

Why I think that your card didn't has that BIOS, is why your Computers BIOS didn't accept that PCI Card as "bootable" device and therefore didn't "see" the HDD!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Incorrect on the first point (as I said, I have one!). ;) :)

Correct on the other, sadly... I ordered one which hasn't got its own BIOS... :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The K7S8X didn't has any SATA ports, it has 2 IDE ports for 4 IDE HDD's!

SATA/IDE means an SATA connector/port which could be set via BIOS to use the IDE/PATA Protocol.

Never mind, your problem is your new PCI Controller Card! With that you'll not be able to boot from an HDD, just use as extra storage in the OS. The missing part is the BIOS which send the infos to the system BIOS of the MB that the attached drives could be used as boot drives. AFAIK, if the Chipset and BIOS of the Mainboard supports the USE of RAID, than you could use such PCI Controller also for to boot.

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    OK, Your Royal Highness, you did not state precisely what/where you mean that there are no....

Indeed, never mind...