Win7 Activated, can I disconnect from ......

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by KMcWilliams, Mar 11, 2013.

1. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    KMcWilliams there is no problem in keeping win 7 or win 8 offline. Someone read half of the story regarding Win8 calling home & OS got deactivated after restart...
    Win8 has cloud integration & that is why it need internet access. No where M$ stated that to remain activated you must have internet access...

Windows 8 has some weird problems. You might lost activation with driver updates & win8 is very sensitive to that even some software installation could lead to reactivation...
    M$ blogs are full of these type of problems...

You can keep both offline.

Its amazing to know that "if you loose internet connectivity you loose activation".:thumbdown::roflmao: Common sense is M$ provided offline activation in windows 8 too, means activate it offline & use it offline. More interning is example to back this point. Intention should be to know why PC got deactivated? not to present unrealistic feature..

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You might be misunderstanding what is happening. Win8 does not require internet access after initial retail activation. It does do record keeping when you do activate if you are online, but it has nothing to do with actually controlling activation. It just sends data to a record keeping company. I have never had activation not work on my prowmc retail activation with internet disabled.

I think someone may have told you something about the network and you assumed they meant internet. If the network is down, you will have problems re-activating kms.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Wow, wow, wow! That's really interesting!

If you're really able to read, than firstly you should have realized that I wrote to someone els and NOT to you regarding the Pirates etc. in Post #8 which also were not personal in any meaning, just as things going on globally.

I also didn't has mentioned with a single word anything about your Version of widows used by you!

Thirdly: I also didn't wrote, mention or claimed in any means to have any power on MDL! That's something which YOU had bring up in your post above:

To tell that your style of writing an answer looks similar to someone who was banned on this forum isn't any accusation, it just looks like those from that other person. I didn't told that YOU are that person. Period!

I also didn't wrote anything in any of my post's to you or others, mention that you're untruthful and dishonest!

So, please stay to fact's, which means do you not imply something what wasn't said or written down, and also don't put something in what isn't there! And if I know someone is a liar and/or a thief, I would also tell those person face to face!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    My own computers, in my Office and at Home are not KMS activated, all of them simple run Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate. Windows XP, Windows 98 and Linux is running on VMWare Workstation. Fact is that Windows 8 (not Windows 7) is connecting to MS Singapore while startup in the morning. Once I was capturing the packages to see what the hell is going on and found that is was just checking the legit status. That is done be every single start of Windows 8 Pro.

As I wrote, Enterprise isn't doing that and for Core I don't know because I didn't run any and not any by my customers. I know only that's done by Windows 8 Pro.

At the time my computers starting, I'm not in Office because it's at 4am and they will run till 11pm.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Genuine checks when plugged in are believable. The wat update kb971033 on Win 7 also phones home occasionally. This does not however, mean that a properly done permanent activation will become deactivated merely by unplugging.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It may has something to do with the MS Server. Normally from Thailand we connect to the server in Singapore. Once I had to call to Bombay for to get an 2088 Data Center activated, wasn't possible via Singapore! It's also that Thai Versions of Windows must be activated via Singapore only. Not possible to use the USA or Europe!

7. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Well maybe they did something different for your version of win8pro because the en-US rtm versions I've used haven't done that. I know that win8 sends packages to places, but it doesn't seem to actually control activation in any way.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    They did!

On Thai Versions is printed on the Box:
    That applies for Windows and Office!

On the COA Sticker on the Box it says:
    bts -- 8918181 - msin
    Win PRO 32-BIT/64-BIT ENG INTL VUP DVD
    made in singapore sku - 3ur - 00006

and some Barcodes and numbers on top of the sticker.

A friend from Switzerland bought the Windows 8 Pro in Thailand and took it home but could activate the first time and after. He was need to call to MS and was get the activation rejected too! So he called me and I gave him the Singapore phone number and than he could activate via phone.

9. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #29 murphy78, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    That's messed up, but couldn't you download an RTM and use the same product keys?
    Because it sounds like what they did was change the default activation URL and make it so their customer support doesn't accept thai SKUs

10. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I could use the Product Keys bought on line from MS with no Restrictions! The keys from the few Boxes I bought are limited to to South East Asia. I used the RTM for all installation, just different Keys!

But that isn't a problem for me because I living here, in Thailand!

12. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Damn.. that's still just wrong man.. you should be able to activate them anywhere in the world if they are legit keys... Bad MS! :bangin:

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Er....! For me it's just fine. I develop some apps for customers too with my company and I do understand that they try to "keep" their business. There isn't something wrong with. And MS isn't for sure that bad as Apple!!

14. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    When the first Windows 98 was released Microsoft barely knew the internet existed and thought no one would be interested.

15. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Lately, big companies have been having an obsession with geo-blocks and regional-based-blocking.

16. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    They are selling it more cheaply in some "poor" places, they want their money from those who are in a "rich" location, so they are not allowing you to buy it where it's cheap and use where it's expensive. That's all it is, no big conspiracy other than who you want to assign the label "greedy" to, either MS for doing it, or unauthorized importers for making them feel it's needed.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not really more cheaply, it's because of supported languages etc. In Thailand, if the software is sold in Thai language only, there'll be a problem with English. So they mainly use to sell software in Thailand in dual language: Thai and English.

The producer for Windows in South East Asia is located in Singapore. The Tranlation for Chinese, Thai, Indo etc., the language's used in South East Asia, is done locally, if MS has an Country Office with service/support or in SG. The Thai Version of Windows in Thailand is done in Thai only, while SG will have min. 2 versions: English and Chinese simplyfied. Even if you set English as master in Thai Version of Windows, many things will still in Thai, like Help etc.!

To the cost: full version of Windows 8 Pro will cost THB 5,900 which is app. US$ 195! So do you really think that the OS will be cheaper in Thailand?