Win7 Embedded image with Vmware View 5 client

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by sebus, Mar 9, 2012.

1. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    It boots fine from the ISO, it just says "not a dell PC" after XP loads and then reboots. Why would this change by copying the contents to the VDI instead of booting from the ISO, it's still using the same files? Anyway, I basically did what you suggest, copied the files to the VDI and then wrote the nt52 bootsector, and it just hangs.

What I would expect really is that this will only work on a DELL PC (booted from ISO or HDD), but you suggested I try it so I assumed you'd tested and knew it would work on NON-DELL hardware.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  3. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    That's what I did, extract the contents of that WIM to the VDI, which should be quite obvious from my previous post as if I'd just copied the contents of the ISO to the VDI I wouldn't have had an ntldr in the root would I.

Apology accepted. Yes I know what I'm doing thanks.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Will have to leave you to it then. Getting XP to boot is not much of an issue, so I am sure you will manage to do it

sebus

5. spliff666

spliff666 MDL Novice

May 31, 2012
    I'm now bald from ripping my hair out over this one, We'd REALLY like this to work and I'm failing at the booting stage.

restored image fine
    Created image fine
    Cleaned HD with diskpark
    Created NTFS primary partition and applied the captured image back onto it
    marked as active
    bootsect
    Bluescreens

Its bluescreening with ye olde error 0x0000007b

I've tried mounting the reg and stopping services but could only find 2 services that looked like Wyse (WyseRAMDisk and WNT)
    I found all the drivers mentioned and renamed them.

I tried enabling boot logging but I don't think this works in Win Embedded (This is my first time using it)

Any pointers on where I'm going wrong?

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Sorry, I can not be any more precise then above
    I done it step by step 1 to 13 (make sure in step 1 you chose IDE HD)

If you follow it will work

sebus

7. spliff666

spliff666 MDL Novice

May 31, 2012
    All good, i went through again from the top, this time I downloaded the exact client you used, but also did it in VMware workstation. Don't know which one it was but its working now. Thanks for your steps, wouldn't have been able to do it without them.

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    No problem, glad you have it working in the end...