Win7 "Explorer.exe" Question: Multiple instances stay running.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DKnight2066, Sep 15, 2009.

1. t0mn8r

t0mn8r MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I see the same. As W7 doesn't require a reboot "by the clock" I also see multiple instances running. I just kill them.

This looks like a small bug to me. Same for Internet Exploiter btw.

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Never experienced this situatuin myself.
    Try this to see if it helps:
    Run "CMD" as admin, type "sfc scannow"; hit enter.
    Reboot and see if problem persists.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobbintb

bobbintb MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2008

i just tested this and i can confirm this is the cause, at least in my situation.

4. KurentEweser

KurentEweser MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    #24 KurentEweser, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    I can confirm this problem while using Firefox 3.6.8. "Open Containing Folder"(right click on a file) in the Downloads window(ctrl j) will open a new instance of Explorer each time it is used. The problem lies with Explorer stays in memory when closing the Explorer window. So after examining 20 downloads I will have 21 copies of Explorer in memory even with all Explorer windows closed. Some were blaming uTorrent for this same thing. But it happens with Firefox too. I can't blame either program for Explorer not being able to close itself properly.

Edit: I just pinned Explorer to the taskbar. I get a new instance of Explorer in memory each time I click on the icon. And all the instances of Explorer do not free up memory when they are all closed. I did the same thing on my x64 desktop and only one instance of Explorer.exe was present no matter what I did. Something got broke.

5. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    7 x64 here. I only have one explorer.exe unless I open another window, and it ends when I close it. I haven't tried the Utorrent thing, I rarely open the containing folder from within utorrent. Edit: Even when I open another window I still only have 1 instance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. fritzisbro

fritzisbro MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2010
    locate the original File C:\Windows\explorer.exe and create another short cut from that. It seems to have worked with my version of win7

also check properties on the short cut make sure it just says
    C:\Windows\explorer.exe.... I used to add /N,/E,C:\ on the end to take me straight to the C: drive but since I've removed it, no more multi instances of explorer.exe have occured.