Win7 files question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HORIZONTAL THINKER, Aug 14, 2012.

1. HORIZONTAL THINKER

HORIZONTAL THINKER MDL Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hi all,

i've searched the forum and can't find a thread which answers my question. If i've missed it sorry.
    My question is. I'm trying to slightly modify a Win7 Ultimate OEM and am trying to locate the .scr & .themes files.
    I don't want to use e.g. RT7lite as i've messed about with it in the past but had little success so i figured i'd try and see if i could find and modify these files opening Win7 within e.g. PowerISO or Restorator.

If anyone could give me the file paths to these particular files i'd be very grateful :worthy::worthy:

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
    As bad as Windows 7 search is, I searched C: using *.scr and found a dozen of them an 51 *.theme.

3. HORIZONTAL THINKER

Jun 13, 2012
    Cheers PhaseDoubt,

I can find them on a win7 O/S no problem but i'm trying to locate them on the actual installation Disk itself so i can modify them

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    OK, I was wondering why you mentioned RT7 Lite. The files you seek may not have the extensions .scr and .theme. Some files are compressed and have to be extracted. The unextracted file extension is many time similar to the extracted version with an underscore replacing the last character. Sometimes, multiple files are housed in a cabinet file and my experience with them is their name is often unrelated to individual extracted file names. That makes things a bit difficult as you're finding.

Where they're contained on the installation disk is not something that is especially relevant to me , But I see what you're saying now.

6. HORIZONTAL THINKER

Jun 13, 2012
    can they be altered/replaced with DISM and GImageX urie.
    I've never done this before and am trying to get as much noob friendly direction as i can :worthy:

And thanks PhaseDoubt for your input also.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. HORIZONTAL THINKER

Jun 13, 2012
    I'll have a look over there now urie. again, many thanks for your help.