Win7 guest shows host CPU after setextradata cmd to change DMI strings executed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Allegorical, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Allegorical

Allegorical MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    #1 Allegorical, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I am running Win7 guest/Win 8.1 host using virtualbox 5.0.14 r105127. I use the setextradata command listed in the virtualbox online manual here : (nevermind, I can't post links apparently, but it's oracle's online manual for virtualbox hosted on their site in section 9.12)

Which are:

Code:
    VBoxManage setextradata "VM name"      "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiProcManufacturer"  "GenuineIntel"
    VBoxManage setextradata "VM name"       "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiProcVersion"       "Pentium(R) III"
    (But I used different input strings). The commands completes with no error messages, putting me back at the command prompt. But when I go in device manager and to My Compuer>About they both still show me the host's CPU, so obviously something isn't working. If someone could please help me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Also, when you use setextradata to configure DMI and/or hardware details, are those changes persistent on a per VM basis until you modify them otherwise, or do you have to set them prior to each boot? Thanks again.

2. STLVNUB

STLVNUB MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2009
    Affirmative

3. Allegorical

Allegorical MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    Thanks for the input. Is that also the case with regard to all setextradata changes? For example, I sometimes need to change the TSC handling mode, it's also persistent? Thanks again, and if anyone could take a crack at my original question, that would be sweeter than unicorn milk...

4. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    your "VM Name" in cmd line has to be your actual name of your virtual machine

changes are specific to each VM

5. Allegorical

Allegorical MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    Yeah, I realized that, and entered it accordingly into the command string, to no avail. I still see the host cpu in system info. I'll give it another shot here in a moment just to make sure it wasn't 'operator error'.

6. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Let's try the obvious: The VM needs to be shut down (and not in a saved running state) for the command to take effect.