Win8 M3 (7989) findings relevant to Managed .net & WPF/SL developers

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by SilverlightWPF, Jun 19, 2011.

1. NaiveUser

NaiveUser MDL Senior Member

Apr 14, 2011
    #41 NaiveUser, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    haha, there is a DirectUI.dll.mui file in 7989, it contains a bunch of error messages, directly copied from agcore_debug.dll of Silverlight Developer Runtime, just replaced 'Silverlight' with 'WinRT UI', so there are some funny statements about JavaScript/Browser/Out-of-Browser etc which dont make sense in DirectUI, eh..... or should I say 'WinRT UI' ? a mouthful name.

example: in DirectUI.dll.mui

and in agcore_debug.dll

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bored_neo

bored_neo MDL Junior Member

Jun 3, 2011
    A new class showed up in WPF, WindowChrome. As far as I can tell this allows you to control some chrome properties like glass border thickness. Nice, until now you had to use PInvoke to implement such stuff.

3. SilverlightWPF

SilverlightWPF MDL Junior Member

Jun 11, 2011

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
  5. NaiveUser

Apr 14, 2011
    maybe HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsRuntime\ is for system and HKCR\ActivatableClassesId is for apps.

still wondering what 'Ro' stands for, a codename ?

6. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
  7. bored_neo

bored_neo MDL Junior Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Maybe, but when I installed my framework package nothing showed up under that key. Maybe my manifest isn't correct, no idea.

Maybe Runtime Object, similar to how Component Object Model lead to things like CoInitialize. But I don't know why some functions are prefixed with Ro and some with WinRT.

Well, maybe it will be a complete standard when Win8 ships. If not, nothing stops them from removing it. Remember that these leaked builds are not even beta, things can come and go.

8. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
  9. NaiveUser

Apr 14, 2011
  10. DirectGUI

DirectGUI MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2011
    SilverlightWPF: Could you post a snapshot of what's in the new 'windows.ui.directui.media.media3d' in 7989 like you did for controls previously ?
    thanks, I really enjoy this Thread.

11. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    #52 SilverlightWPF, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
    (OP)
  12. DirectGUI

DirectGUI MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2011
    Thank you for the screenshots,
    As a WPF guy, I was hoping for some Viewport3D action, didn't remember that silverlight already have this namespace for 3d projection.
    I guess directui will have everything that silverlight has, since it is silverlight.
    I still like where this is going though. Your post about Inputs show it well.
    Clean and hopefully damn fast.

13. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    #54 SilverlightWPF, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
    (OP)
  14. coolio2

coolio2 MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2011
    maybe you please show again windows.ui.directui.controls picture 7989 one?! thanks!!

you show it already have listview, maybe they have more also??

15. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
  16. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    #57 SilverlightWPF, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
    (OP)
  17. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
  18. NaiveUser

Apr 14, 2011
    just noticed something called WRL inside glcnd, might be 'Windows Runtime Library' ?

19. ctxsnstv

ctxsnstv MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2011
    Maybe the reason for the new animations in DirectUI vs. WPF/Silverlight is that they're designed to be consistent with standard animations used in the Windows 8 shell itself?