Win8 SL, replace A$er install.swm with MSDN iso modified SL install.wim

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by WriteConsole, Jun 3, 2013.

1. WriteConsole

WriteConsole MDL Junior Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #41 WriteConsole, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    (OP)
    i captured the image already C drive,
    now i am stuck, how to apply it to another pc :confused:

that is around 8GB image,

maybe setup the pc with win8 csl, after that only apply image to that particular C drive, (but waste lots of time to set up something that we will overwrite)

or

somehow partition the new hard disk to uefi scheme, then apply C drive image on them, maybe i need to image several partitions from current generalized desktop.

or

you guys got another methods or ideas?

when i use diskpart,
    i saw there are 5 partitions
    partition 1 Recovery 300MB offset 1024KB
    partition 2 System 100MB offset 301MB
    partition 3 Reserved 128MB offset 401MB
    partition 4 Primary 287GB offset 529 MB
    partition 5 Primary 257GB offset 207GB

i captured partition 4 already, do i need to capture other partitions?

2. WriteConsole

Jun 3, 2013
    s**t happened,
    after i captured image, restart the machine,

now with
    Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer,

3. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Have you tried using a USB drive with Bios CSM is enabled or even have a 16GB flash?

You need a way to transfer that large file.

If you captured the wim and when u look inside it, you should see the basic C: layout.

PerfLogs
    Program Files
    Users
    Windows
    etc

I restarted the computer when mine said that then it worked.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WriteConsole

Jun 3, 2013
    i capture that C:\ to external hard disk,
    but main problem is, shouldnt the generalized pc, (after image captured should boot fine without problem) otherwise if i apply that image to another pc, it would certainly shows same error like above, am i right?

here the details, i may probably did something stupid,
    a. the pc that i generalized was activated already,
    b. the pc antivirus is avg
    c. install with office starter 2010
    d. updated with all available updates

5. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Your correct I believe. Will the computer you generalized work still?
    Activation I have heard reverts.
    Startup should give you a error.
    I have done my own images with Microsoft Essentials, Office ProPlus 2013, and all the updates which worked fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WriteConsole

Jun 3, 2013
    i now guess, i probably need to reinstall this win8 csl again,

and since the activation is automatic once i online, what would i need to do to prevent it get activated once i online to update those windows 8 updates and install office 2010 in audit mode?

where are the tricks?

7. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #47 Humphrey, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Activation is removed during the DISM capture I have been told- you could take it offline but you will need to download the updates and install them manually.

Honestly this should all have been done in VMware so as to not damage the current installation.

8. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  9. WriteConsole

Jun 3, 2013
    i tried to recall back the s**ts i did,
    because after i installed win8 csl that day, i boot into it and try activation (just to see if the machine could get activated properly)
    after reboot only i do the audit mode,
    install updates, softwares and avg,

then i generalize the machine, based on what i read from technet, the process will remove activation,

based on what i did, i suppose what i did makes sense, the reboot generalized pc should work fine, :mad:

10. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Well it should but as far as I know you need to enter audit mode before you even get to the desktop/Metro UI.

Audit mode should be entered when its asking you to name the computer / chose a color scheme. I am writing you a PM now.

11. WriteConsole

Jun 3, 2013
    now i recalled back,
    i got shrink the C drive size to create D drive during audit mode, dont know if this is the culprit?

12. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I wouldn't have done that. I would have saved to external source whether that be flash drive or HDD.

13. WriteConsole

Jun 3, 2013
    after few installations,
    i believe the issue is antivirus software, tried avg and avira, a generalized audited pc upon reboot will cause such error to occur,

14. ace2

ace2 Guest

#56 ace2, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
    @BTOR I think he is trying to follow more than one persons procedure.;)

My procedure is for when the install.wim has been captured, & You want to install from HDD.:D

NOTES:
    This will give you an Installed windows 8 ON C:, & A HOME MADE RECOVERY HDD ON D:, MADE WITH Windows 8 DVD/ISO & THE Captured Install.wim.:D

15. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    #57 BTOR, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  16. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #58 Humphrey, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  17. WriteConsole

Jun 3, 2013
    preparing my image now, load it with office starter 2010, firefox, chrome, 7zip, all windows 8 updates, adobe reader,

i tried to verify it by generalize, then Ctrl+Shift+F3 again into audit mode, it seems so far, it works as expected,

i know how to capture image already, but still blur how to deploy > 4GB image successfully. :confused:

18. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    yes, but not all drivers can be installed that way,you will need a driver of type .inf. if you have un-singed drivers should use /ForceUnsigned switch