Win8 Tablet Q's...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by RASelkirk, Mar 4, 2015.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

I'm looking for a 10" tablet with a Win OS and it seems like "Win8" is where it's at for now. I'm an "old school" computer guy and know nothing of tablets and mobile devices so I'm looking for some help in getting the right tablet. This will be for a car I'm building. So far it'll just need to run the Holley tuning software and gauge package but possibly a music server and other things. BTW, the handheld tuning module Holley sells is a 7" proprietary tablet for $799. For example, an ASUS T100 can be had for less than half that.

The T100's 5V power supply could easily be converted to a car's 12v system (although it doesn't specifically state DC output). I'd need something adaptable to a 12v system.

This one has both WiFi and Bluetooth.

Do Android "apps" cross over to Win systems?

So, what is a good tablet (besides the ASUS) and what other features could be important down the line that I'm not thinking of right now?

Thanks!

Russ

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If I were you, I would go for an Surface Pro! Despite of those, if you didn't has any knowledge about Tablets and how to work with them, special if you didn't know how to adopt 3. party devices to it, I would firstly buy an 'Cheapo' product from China for to get the 'feeling' and knowledge of the 'How To....'! If that fails at all, the loss of money is just a little. Those 'Cheapo's' you could could find at Alibaba for around US$ 100.00!

On the other hand, if you go ton an MS Surface Pro, which comes with Windows 8.1 Pro, it will be upgrade able to Windows 10 as promised by MS!

It's all about how much bucks you'll spend and what you what you expect to do with it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Isn't the Surface Pro around $800? I don't mind popping the cash, but if another tablet will do the same things for half...

And what about overtemping these tablets? The ASUS pdf says not to operate beyond 95°F, but says nothing about storage temps. Where I am, in-car temps can exceed 150°F in the summer. Would that cause permanent damage?

Will Win8's mobile OS run "apps" if I were to need them?

Thanks!

Russ

Russ

4. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...