Windows 10 - 100% disk, 100% RAM and 100% CPU

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ty_thegunner, Oct 1, 2015.

1. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i would just wipe HD and do clean install.... see what happens.

2. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Me too...sometimes the bits and bytes go crazy and an old fashion nuke and pave solves it all.

3. mubaidr

mubaidr MDL Junior Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Same thing happened with me some days ago, I did use poolmon to notice memory leak and iastor and net drivers were issue. Clean install and proper reboots between driver installation fixed the issue.

4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    What version of RST did you install and was this on ICH or PCH and what version is working now, or was it just your rebooting between drivers ?.

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    LMAO, 6g of RAM. He hasn't even set UI to show high at top, so you have no clue what he has for memory as you can only see like 12 out of how many ?, what about if he allocated any for IGPU.

6g is a fay cry from 16g, and then you think he has a problem because you only see 5g at 87%. :rolleyes:

6. mubaidr

Dec 8, 2010
    I have instaled the same drivers, just in proper sequence and reboot. (chipset, igpu, nvidia gpu, audio then check ofr updtes which updated my network drivers). And in the last IRST driver.

Driver version = v13.1.0.1058 WHQL
    Chipset = HM77

7. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Just found my culprit to the RAM hog. I'm on build 547 and when I click the Start menu then Windoze proceeds to eat up whatever RAM I have left of the the 4GB. :biggrin: Doesn't look like it is consistent but I notice it happening if I don't click Start for 30 minutes then all the sudden click it to access an app. I have no live tiles, just around 4 shortcuts.

Not sure if a few of us are having the same issue or what...

8. kimvn

kimvn MDL Junior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I think you need fresh install Windows 10. Upgraded from previous Windows can get ton of bugs.

9. Kuantum Freak

Kuantum Freak MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2015
    #29 Kuantum Freak, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    They way I see it, you could just try a system file scan. open command prompt and type
    Code:
    sfc /scannow
    paste the results here.

Best option would just be to reinstall windows.

For the ram usage, there could be other programs using the other 8 GB. His task manager is ordered by name and not by ram usage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #30 GOD666, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    I'm going to take a guess. A lot of the post here on MDL have involved people wishing to block Microsoft. Most of those post seem to target the host file. Having a large host file can slow your computer down and eat resources like they were candy if you have your DNS Client service enabled. Try disabling it and reboot. See if that helps.

edit: Reading the thread I see a lot of people have suggested it could be a driver issue as well. This is not far off and can also be related to your host file depending on what drivers you are using (network driver for example). For that reason I would still recommend disabling your DNS Client service and rebooting.

11. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The HDD seems to be hitting the 100% mark more that the others. I wanted to see the space left of the local C driver.

12. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    This seems to happen very frequently and it appears the problem is mostly from the Search Indexer service.

13. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015

Strange that installing Graphics, Audio, AHCI order causes them to run on their own.

There's no such thing as installing chipset drivers so we know this can't cause it, the IGPU is disabled in BIOS so installing those drivers has no effect. When you installed win 10, it installed these drivers, when you found newer versions and installed them did you look at the system after each install or just install all ?.

14. Minster

Minster MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2015
    It seems like you might have an issue with the memory compression they've been developing in the recent Insider builds.
    For some people it causes the conditions shown in your pictures. If this is the same issue for you, you can try the following to see if it helps.

1) Disable prefetcher in regedit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

EnablePrefetcher will probably have a value of 2 or 3. You will want to change it to 0.

2) Go to services and disable Superfetch.

If your issue was caused by this, these settings should alleviate it.
    Making these changes may give you a slight overall performance hit, but for those who are having this issue, its worth it in comparison.

Hopefully as MS smooths out this function for release in November, it will perform as intended, and give all users a snappier OS.

15. mubaidr

Dec 8, 2010
    I know this is strange but thas how it happened. First time after clean install, i did install drivers without any reboot, and this happened.

I have always disabled superfetch. And as i metnioned earlier, i did use poolmon, which clearly show drivers causing the issue of memory leak.

Chipset drivers guides OS about the device information so that it can install proper driver.

16. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Not sure where you heard this. Drivers already embedded. The installer does absolutely nothing but change the name of the hardware. There are no drivers in the installer, the INF files do nothing but change the name, they have zero affect on driver, performance, and it doesn't matter what version installer you use as they have no effect on the driver. "Drivers guide OS to driver", No such thing.

17. mubaidr

Dec 8, 2010
    You are right its anot a drivers but its purpose is same as mentioned. Here is quote from official intel:

18. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    This thread is about windows 10, so it would be better not to try and Use outdated Intel quotes as a means to show a point. That Intel quote no longer is needed.