Windows 10 (10240) first impessions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Magrat, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Magrat

Magrat MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    As a Windows 7 user I thought I would see what all the fuss was about with Windows 10 and downloaded the 10240 build to try. I've installed in Vbox and spent the last hour or so 'playing' with it.

I won't be upgrading any of my computers!

It reminds me of Windows 2 that I got with Pagemaker years and years ago. I find it stark and very boring. Everything seems to have been super-simplified and doesn't have any 'fun' or colour about it.

Is there something I've missed?

2. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    If you don't like it you don't like it. Stick with Windows 7.

It is quite a bit faster on the same hardware though

3. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I myself hate the white title bars and really really hate that device driver download is on by default, So when i do a clean install i have to unplug my cable modem each time then after disabling Windows Update I then plug it back in.

I also hate the settings so called app, I like the Win7/8.1 style of full control in the control panel etc.

I also hate the Start Menu I never once look at it, So i install Start10.

I really think though the Forced messed up Windows Update along with the lost Functionality of Windows Update and combined with the white title bars this OS is going to fail worse then Win8.0

So your probably asking why do i use it ? Well the above can be managed except for the white title bars but the average user will have no clue on how to Disable Windows Update and know how to install .cab windows updates manually.

On a final note Win10 is truly faster then Win8.1 that's the only real reason i use it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm using it from some day on 4 pc, 2 notebook and 2 desktop.
    The system at my opinion is extremely better older windows.
    1. It is faster on same hardware, in some cases much faster, specially when use .net apps and tools.
    2. Take less space in hard drives.
    3. New compression is very useful, in a notebook with ssd automatic compress system, save space with great performance.
    4. New start is more comfortable in desktops.
    5. Universal app in windows and not in full screen is more comfortable.
    All at my opinion ;)

5. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    use it try it... customize it... familiar with it... you will like it... i hate metro with windows 8 and my start menu gone!...
    but now it is solid with many many app and start menu is back! new os now is less drivers but it will mature in future... try it :biggrin:

6. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    You know what they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks and likewise there will always be those yearning for a rebirth of windows 3.1.

7. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG MDL Novice

May 31, 2008
    I don't like the win8 start screen, but the win10 hybird start menu is much worst idea

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I dunno about all that, Im an ole dog and I still learn a few things now and then.

9. Magrat

Magrat MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    No, not Windows 3.1, 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) was much better ;)

As you might have gathered I been around since Windows 2. It seems to me that Microsoft is trying to do a one size fits all. The current simple visual trend might be OK with phones and tablets but feels rather lacking on a laptop and desktop environment. Yes, maybe it is faster but current hardware, even low-end, is pretty fast for most things, and looks aren't everything. My current laptop came with Windows 8 pre-installed. It lasted a week before I 'down-graded' to Windows 7 and sanity!

BTW I won't be upgrading Office past 2010 either, for similar reasons.

10. mecroua

mecroua MDL Novice

May 3, 2015
    I tried the WIN 10 RTM. Several of my programs won't run. Sandboxie, my VPN program and Newsbin Pro. I also couldn't get Firefox to download any files/programs. I'll stick with Win 8.1 until these can run on Win 10.

11. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    err sandboxie 4.20 run here

12. nosense

nosense MDL Senior Member

Sep 9, 2013
  13. Magrat

Magrat MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    At 64 I've grown up with computers, from building my first back in the 70s, to my latest laptop. It's just that I hate the 'dumbing down' that seems to go on so much these days.

14. Wingfat

Wingfat MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2007
    Should I upgrade to this new "Windows" system? DOS works fine for me.
    Fast forward all these years later and the same argument... over and over.

I've been there like many of you form the beginning.... Crawling painfully and slowly each milestone after milestone. One of my my most fond memories was Windows 3.11 (Windows for workgroups). I was able to dump my trusty old Lantastic LAN for a real Ethernet system. I has always been one of the first to upgrade to the newest version of Windows.. and paid the price in broken device drivers and peripheral hardware.

Sometime Microsoft would give us a treat like NT... at other times a disaster like Vista. Over the years I became to use a mental gauge of how I rate OS's both based on time.

The first part is how many consecutive days the OS would run before it would need to be rebooted. The second part is how long the OS would last before it was so damaged that it had to be reinstalled.

I'm again running Windows 10 on 3 of my machines as I feel with a bit of customization, it will surpass Windows 7. However...

I will state that my main machines and daily drivers run OSX... There is nothing so compelling in 10 that I will step away from the stability and flexibility. I run Win 10 in a VM with such ease that there are literally no boundaries between the two OS's (Parallels Coherence Mode).

That said, I find Windows 10 fast stable and ready for prime time.