Windows 10 activation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by x86, Jan 17, 2018.

1. heeheehaha

heeheehaha MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2018
    So mount the iso and then do upgrade in place from within win7 and it should let me retain my pro activation?

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Since default ISOs contain Pro and Home, it needs the config file to ignore the MSDM key. Not sure if the tool offers to create Pro only ISO, you can create it manually though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #63 Enthousiast, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    The MCT only creates the aio iso's, when some want a single index iso from esd's use ESD>ISO and it will offer a single index option.

4. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    MCT ??

5. heeheehaha

heeheehaha MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2018
    Nope the MCT doesnt offer pro only, it provides AIO with home/pro. My turn for a question. What is ESD?

So pretty much: take the iso from MCT, unpack it, add ei.cfg as mentioned, repack iso then use as needed

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #68 Enthousiast, Feb 5, 2018
  7. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    if i remember well, when you get the defaut win10 iso (home + pro) and want to upgrade to win10 pro using that iso from win7 pro activated machine, it will be win10 pro which will be chosen automatically during the upgrade without the need of inserting any key and if evrything goes well, you will have your win10 acivated automatically and you will get digital license at the same time.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It has a MSDM for HOME, so the upgrade will be to HOME. The ei.cfg or deleting all other indices will be the only way to get the 10Pro installed.

9. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    ok, i didn't read that part, so in that case, as you said since the pc was bought with win10 home pre installed , it will be win10 home which be chosen automatically unless you create ei.cfg and and you add win10 professional on it by deleting all other sku.

10. heeheehaha

heeheehaha MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2018
    I'm doing the ei.cfg method now, but what's the method behind deleting the other indices? Is it easier/harder or just a different method?

Also, thanks to everyone who has helped!

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Deleting the other indices (or exporting Pro only) will need more steps and knowledge, the ei.cfg should work, as soon as you run setup.exe it will show if there are options to select a sku, if it doesn't show the other sku's and shows Home only, you will need to do the extra work.

12. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    #74 mehdibleu, Feb 5, 2018
    it's very easy, no need to have a sound knowledge, all he has to do is use the tool "gimagex" then go to "delete" tab and he will be able to remove all other indices easily.

In my opinion, after adding the ei.cfg, when he will run the "setup.exe", he will be asked to enter a win10 pro key and if it's the case any win10 pro will do the job.
    Edit : However, in retrospect, since he already has his win7 pro activated, he won't be asked to enter a win10 pro key, it would have been the case if his win7 pro version wasn't activated.

13. heeheehaha

heeheehaha MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2018
    I've added ei.cfg, rebuilt the iso and wrote it to usb with rufus. Stuck into OEM activated Win 7 Sp1 PRO and ran setup. Never askes me to select home/pro nor does it ask for a key. Once it does all the checking and askes if everything is ok it lists Windows Home as being installed. Is the issue here because i have a Home MSDM?

Looks like I'm either doing something wrong or will have to do the other method.

14. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    you don't need to create bootable usb drive, all you have to do is put the new iso on desktop then double click on it then click on "setup.exe" and then see the result, as i said, you won't probably asked to enter win10 pro key as your win7 pro is already activated.

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You just had to extract the iso to the desktop, try this ei.cfg:
    Code:
    [Channel]
    _Default

[VL]
    Just replace the one that now is on the "iso \sources" folder".

16. heeheehaha

heeheehaha MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2018
    Still no joy. I've tried that ei.cfg along with the other one listed that included
    [EditionID] set to Professional with same results

Pulling down the ESD and the script to turn it into a single edition iso for me and give that a go. I suppose that way the only thing it could install would be Pro

I couldn't figure out how to use gimagx on an expanded ISO from the MCT. I saw only 2 indices, PE and another on the delete tab once I selected wim file. Nothing about home or pro

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Give me a minute, almost done setting up the same circumstances you are in, system with MSDM for 10 Core, installed win 7 and AIO win 10 ISO for upgrade.

Can you run the QT from here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/multi-oem-retail-project-mrp-mk3.71555/#post-1283849 and post the saved log?

18. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    that's strange it hasn't worked, the choice of installing between home or pro should have proposed to you
    so now you can just use gimagex tool and use it to remove home indice from the iso, all you have to do is extract "install.wim" from the iso and use gimagex tool to load install.wim into the tool then go to "delete" tab and remove home indice, it's simple as that
    of course you will have to replace the "install.wim" file by the new one then rebuild the iso.