Windows 10 and Driver support. Need suggestion.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LoverOfLove, Nov 3, 2017.

1. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    I have some questions about it.

Is it a good idea to install windows 10 if manufacturer doesnt provide drivers for windows 10.?
    If win 10 drivers are not available then should i use win 7 or 8 .1 drivers?
    Is it safe or i will face some bsod errors and unstable windows?

please suggest me with details and your experience about it.
    thank you very much.!

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If the manufacturer doesn't provide them on the driverpage you can let WU install the drivers, if there is anything missing in devicemanager you can try to point the driver installation to the unpacked win 8 driver (.ini) and see if they install.

My main system also isn't supported on 10 by Asrockrack but it runs fine on the WU (generic) drivers.

3. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I have had very good luck as it relates to drivers for older winxp and win7/8 based Dell and HP computers etc. Both Desktops and Laptop and never really had issues I could blame on drivers. Like Enthousiast said, Try the Manufacture supplied Win7 or Win8 drivers if those dont work try Windows Update. Avoid using x86 drivers on x64 windows and vise versa, that can lead to problems.

When I found out years ago that microsoft offers free upgrade to win10 I went and upgraded every single old and new computer I owned and so far so good. :)

4. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    on some laptops win 10 update doesnt provide any audio or video driver update.and use generic drivers. and in that case it cant use full potential of graphic or audio. and on same system if i use win 7 or 8.1 drivers then sound and graphic become better.
    i've also seen that on some laptop win 10 doent even provide generic drivers for wifi. and i had to use win 7 wifi driver.
    every laptop and desktop contain some graphics and audio chip and generic drivers cant take full advantage of them.
    some of my customers ask me to install win 10 on their laptops and in my experience some time win 7 drivers work great and some time they doesnt. for example if i use win 10 generic sound driver then audio doesnt sound good and if i use win 7 driver then sound become good but i also witnessed some cases where sound didnt improve. for that reason i cant decide if i should suggest my customer to install 10 or not?
    i have made some assumption that if win 8.1 drivers are available then it is most likely that they are going to work great on win 10.
    but if only win 7 drivers are available then probably its not going to work great on win 10.
    i need a proper expert advise on this matter.
    thank you.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In reality, Microsoft isn't really responsible for the correct drivers, the Developer of that hardware is!!

There several ways to get things working. Use of Hardware Information Applications are suggested to use to get the Hardware relevant infos, like HWInfo and others. In Windows. Microsoft added the Hardware Compatibility system for to solve many of that related problems, and that mainly works just well.

The use of older Hardware with newest Operating Systems is always limited, special regarding available drivers because of that older Hardware, drivers etc. was built for Hardware of that time and not for any future new systems!

Who use old Hardware have to live always with that bottlenecks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...