Windows 10 and no Audio through HDMI on Intel GPU

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Winter, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hi there,

I have a problem when using HDMI connection with my TV. I get the screen but no sound from the tv - it comes from laptop. I tried to check 'Sound' in Control Panel and my TV is not detected. It all works fine when using Windows 7 or 8.1 - already tested it.

Any idea what's wrong?

2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010

Have you tried turning it off n on again?

3. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    install intel's driver for windows 8.1 don't use the default drivers I also have audio over HDMI

4. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #4 Rock Hunter, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    I have the same setup and what you need to do is go into your sound settings and change the output from speakers to your TV. It doesn't happen automatically. I have to change the setting when I want to run a video on my TV and then I have to change the setting back to Speakers when I want to go back to using my computer. In my case I have a Sharp TV and it is listed as sharp. Somebody posted a .reg file here in the Windows 8 forum that lets you right-click on the desktop to open a list of functions including Sounds Panel to make it easy to switch back and forth between TV and Speakers. You have to select your TV and then click on Set As Default.

5. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I tried updating the drivers but it didn't help anyway. There is no TV visile in 'Sound' even if I set it to make all disabled devices visible. I get a driver conflict in Device Manager but no drivers do any good.