Windows 10 & any versions is death for me

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tiger-1, May 11, 2016.

1. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I've been trying to come up with a phrase for years to describe the situation; you just ended my search with this assessment. Truer words have never been spoken but it's a case of not really understanding it until you experience it. Well said.

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #22 Michaela Joy, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    The fart heard 'round the World :laie:

Also, your post pretty much sums it up. :thumbsup:
    We are creatures of habit. Break us out of our comfortable lil' ruts, and we scream bloody murder.

Until a new rut is formed. :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Well, Ubuntu is not bad choice, however, I don't like:
    1. Unity
    2. Sometimes outdated versions of apps.

BTW, It is a good idea to try out XFCE4. I used almost all mainstream DEs, but only XFCE4 is not annoying and feature rich while provides the classic desktop layout. It can be installed in Ubuntu directly or via Xubuntu.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #24 T-S, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Almost always the choice of the flock is the worst one, linux isn't an exception to that rule.

Looking at *buntus, practically, everything else is better.

Just use Manjaro. Either in the lighter XFCE flavor (which has an incredibly good customizzation on Manjaro) or the Plasma 5 version, which is even more refined but clearly more resource demanding.

You will get a a fast distro, backed by the incredibly good core of Arch linux, minus it's relatively scaring install process, which usually takes the newbies away from Arch Linux and from its incredibly well written and effective documentation, and community.

But If you aren't easy to scare just install a vanilla Arch. You will learn more things in the 40 minutes needed to get it installed than in a life spent on Windows (or the precooked linux distros)

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep dude, I agree I see on the web that Unity 8 is for version 16.10 then waiting ok; yet I'm very noobie to make shoots in core of system :biggrin:

@ T-S also thanks dude for the useful info :thumbsup:

@ all here maybe this thread is moved today to Linux section ;)

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep dude, I don't like tablet, smartphones etc I need only DESKTOP is simple; thanks for the heads up about a lot of craps for mobile aplications :schmorch::devil::rofl:

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    This is just another useless thread... I thought this was over and done...

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Could be.

But taking as good such perspective, adding an useless post to a (supposed) useless thread doesn't help either...;)

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009

10. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Waah! Waah! Waah! Leave already and don't come back.

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    They certainly are Alec ;)

12. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    well, I really enjoy Linux but... gaming on linux? a crap... atleast for me thats the only reason preventing me for fully migrating to linux.

If I may, I would like to recomend two linux distros for your daily use:

* manjaro: If You want latest drivers, mesa, etc;
    * linux mint cinnamon: If You want easy of use and a good environment to work and use your desktop..

edit.: go for the dual boot approach.. in one hand install win 7 sp1 and on the other hand your linux choise.. dont forget to make linux the default system to boot up, otherwise it will be hard for you to feel at home using linux by going for windows by default on powering on your computer.. :p

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #34 T-S, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Surely Arch and its derived Manjaro are the best distros out there, by far. Manjaro is also available in the systemd free version which is a great pro for people who understand that is it.

Obviously being rolling distros (the approach that MS copied in W10) they are not well suited for server environments but for personal use they are just perfect.

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @all here ;) I need return to windows threads more frequently because now I are repairing machines (hardware and software) into my house after long disease and my clients in your majority use windows o.s so I'm here again ;) although I'm very happy with Linux O.S.

15. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    W$ gaming is dying, mostly cause there are two things, 1st, the games are getting uncrackable, piracy is the main reason that w$ was used as gaming platform. 2nd, the w$10 exclusive games, who is their RIGHT MIND would use that s**t, besides the games are, again, not crackeable or no one gives a s**t about it.
    Instead of w$, the trending is, buy a console with the same price you spend on a videocard, and like w$, games are uncrackables, so, you better spend in hardware once and not every time a new game is out. Cause, if they need a new videocard + more memory + new processor, I think the choice clear.

16. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  17. Kelsie

Kelsie MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2015

How often do you polish your bubble?