Windows 10 build 182XX pagefile problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Duser, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Duser

Duser MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2013
    Hi, the Windows Insider gurus!

Can anyone check this? If you have a relatively old computer with BIOS, not UEFI (it's important) running Windows 10 x64 build 182XX (18234 or 18237), can you try to create a pagefile on a disk other than C:? I can't do that on my BIOS computer running Windows 10 x64 buld 18237. Actually Windows does create a pagefile on a disk other than C:, but after rebooting doesn't use it. The UEFI computers are not affected by this problem.

2. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Have you tried to set a very small page file on C: (the minimum size required for dumps on crash) and then set the bigger one on your other drive to see if there's any change?
    I remember having a simular issue under a older RS release when I tried that on a BIOS pc. With a pagefile on d: I would soon get out of memory errors while it's size didn't even increase to the max allowed. I can't remember if what solved it was setting this dual pagefile setup, or setting a greater fixed size on D:.

3. Duser

Duser MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2013
    It doesn't matter if C:\pagefile.sys exists or not. On disk C: (System drive) Windows can create a pagefile and can use it, but any attempt to make it use D:\pagefile.sys, E:\pagefile.sys and so on of any size fails. Actually, if pagefile option "pagefile on disk C:" is in use, Windows simply doesn't use other pagefiles, it shows that total pagefile size is equal of C:\pagefile. If you don't use C:\pagefile and use only pagefiles on other disks, Windows after rebooting will say that it has to create an emergency pagefile because no pagefile exists. Only my BIOS computer is affected by this problem, Windowses on UEFI computers can use pagefiles on other disks as usual like in good old times. With or without C:\pagefile, its existing doesn't play any role there. And this problem occurs on builds >= 18204, prior versions of Windows are free of this problem.