Windows 10 Clean install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Seronja, Aug 13, 2015.

1. done1

done1 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2015
    It can't if you do upgrade. no way that it will format all the hard drive if it is running from it

2. done1

done1 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2015
    No. you need to do the upgrade first.

3. Seronja

Seronja MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2015
    Like this?

Install Windows 10 like update and then do clean install?

4. fockoff

fockoff MDL Junior Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Install Windows 10 from scratch. (by thoroughly wiping out your hard drive)

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    They've been told 15 times by different people to upgrade first, I think they get it, and if not all they need to do is read all the posts, but people need to stop going off track and confusing them.

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Drexl

Drexl MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2007
    I think he meant that the tool formats the USB flash drive for you, not the drive to which you're installing Windows.

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Never format a disk (unless there is an unsolvable FS problem). It's just supid.

If you want to clean install just choose to not upgrade.

Your install will be clean and your data and old Win will be safely stored in the windows.old folder.

Then you can either delete it, rollback to the old win, or you can copy your data from the old desktop/documents/app data and so on.

9. Mister_JB

Mister_JB MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2015
    I've been struggling trying to do a clean install on my desktop for the last few "many" hours.

After numerous Bad Pool Header BSOD errors (was intending to do a clean install regardless), I thought now would be a good time.

Booted from USB ran Win 10 set up, custom install and got the message unable to create partition, check logs which I can't get to. So deleted all partitions, re-recreated, same thing. At some stage in the whole mess I did get some message about drive formatted as MBR and GPS. After consulting Google, delved into diskpart and running through the stated steps, still didn't work. Ensured BIOS set to IDE, usual stuff.

So had to reinstall Win7, install Win10 over the top (saving nothing). If I choose custom install and do anything to the existing partitions, the "could not create system partition blah" comes back up.

Been through this a few times, I didn't have these problems on my laptop booting from USB nice and clean. This is doing my head in, all I wanted was a clean, no Win7 remnants, clean install of Win10.

I'm whacked at the mo, I've read posts here, my eyes are burning too much to trawl through 50 page multiple threads, had a gander at how to geek. If I choose the option, "save nothing" is this a clean install? I'm suspecting not, is it possible to delete and format upgraded Win10 partitions and reinstall over the top?

10. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    @Mister_JB take break go to bed sleep a bit dreaming about your brand new Windows 10, then when you wake up happy and smiling have something to eat, then you could try to install windows 10 all over again. Good luck :)

11. dec1pher

dec1pher MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2014
    Thanks! This worked for me.

12. Mister_JB

Mister_JB MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2015
    That's a nice thought, but already had one instance of "bad pool header". I am pretty confident my ram is okay, as I've had no issues for years running Win7. Upon checking the event logs, there is no info relating to possible incompatible drive driver.

I do prefer Win10, think it's faster and slicker, but now is becoming a slow pain, yeah, break time.....

13. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Mister_JB, try deleting all partitions then do not create any yourself. You might also consider zeroing the drive out. Let the install create partitions.

14. Mister_JB

Mister_JB MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2015
    #56 Mister_JB, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    I tried that, didn't work.

I'll have a read of those Yen links shortly.

I have a question for members. What is the difference doing an upgrade over Win7 and selecting "do not save anything", compared to a clean install? are there any benefits regarding loader process, partition tables that sort of thing, or do they amount to the same thing?

Also still experiencing a lot of Bad Pool Header BSOD's despite the reinstall :mad:

As a side issue, while reinstalling my software, I D/L uTorrent from the official site and got hit very hard with Malware, difficult to get rid of, tried about 4 anti-malware program, was creating 20000 files in my Temp directory, unable to remove in program and features, had to boot in safe mode to finally clean...