Windows 10 Covering all ACTIVATION Processes and Checking/ B/U ADDED

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by odiebugs1, Aug 25, 2015.

1. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    I believe your conclusion is correct. A downgrade would be needed, unless you've got a spare win8 retail key perhaps.

2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
  3. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I did not understand exactly (maybe my English is too limited), the warning "WARNING SEE 6a " made by the OP in first page.

I have a Windows 10 pro upgraded from a Windows 8.1 retail installation (box key) on a machine I made myself.

The cmd command /dlv show information:
    "description: Windows(R) Operating system, Retail channel", then PID and some other infos relating to ID's.
    Below there is:
    "Channel of the product key (Retail).

Do you mean that is an OEM license ?. When I read in first page Retail Windows 7, 8.1 to Windows 10 OEM

Remember that because Windows 10 is a free upgrade, you are not getting a retail Windows 10, you are given a free Windows OEM which is tied to the hardware and you can't move a OEM OS to another PC."

I missed something I suppose. ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Rudiculous

Rudiculous MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2015
    If that does make my installation genuine then I don't have a problem with clean installation. I was going to clean install after upgrading anyway. Thanks for the information. I will try to get to 10 when I finally see a big feature added. Currently happy with 8.1.

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Microsoft has made so many changes to it policy and EULA, I have to go to work now but I will make sure and get back to you later this evening or tomorrow and post it.

6. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks for the reply appreciate it.

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Hey blue, after looking at so many post that MS has made and their employees, is a little complicated.

Will windows 10 show as retail, YES. Can you move your windows 10 to another motherboard, NO and YES. There is no way to move win 10, you have to contact MS with the older retail key if you wanted to move win 10, but thanks for pointing this out, the newest word is that a retail copy of 7. 8.1 turns into retail. Apparently you can't use your win 7, or 8.1, and when you have run windows 10 for over a month, you can't revert.

Thanks again, under MS terms, this isn't actually in writing, and there are a lot of questions missing, but from what I see, it's retail to retail. Will remove warning.

8. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Microsoft is SILENT ! :D

Nothing Documented about RETAIL Licenses.:cool:

Converting RETAIL Licenses to OEM through upgrade.;)

M$ is Creating a BIG MARKET for FUTURE.:D

9. troto

troto MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2014
    #29 troto, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Would reinstalling a different version say Win10Pro over Win10Home (following the procedure of Win7Pro->daz/kmspico->10Pro upgrade) on a PC which already has Win10 Home (activated) 'wipe out/overwrite' the original Win10 Home activation on Microsoft servers? Which would make reverting back to the original Win10 Home installation impossible?.

Does the Kmspico app obfuscate the 'hardware id code' of the pc when liaising with Microsoft activation servers?

10. n33trox

n33trox MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    This is exactly what happened to me. KMS-activated Windows 8.1 Pro x64, VL. I decided to try Win 10. Upgraded via Windows Update, just a regular upgrade, you know, "Reserve your free Windows 10 copy!", etc. So I did. After installation I went to C:\Windows\AutoKMS to check the log file and it said something like "Your license has changed, product cannot be activated". I can't remember the exact message (since I uninstalled AutoKMS). Then I checked slmgr /dlv, slmgr /dli, slmgr /xpr - they all say that my OS is permanently activated. Just as in the screen you've mentioned before. So I uninstalled AutoKMS and it is still activated. When I try slmgr /dlv, it says in the upper, third line: VOLUME_MAK channel.

I don't get what happened, how it happened, but it looks as if Win10 transformed itself into a genuine copy.

11. myabc

myabc MDL Member

Apr 19, 2014
    #31 myabc, Sep 26, 2015
    please can anyone tell me if i understood bad? if i install and activated a windows 7 with kms, after i have an activation of windows 10 without any tool? and if i, after do a clean installation of windows 10, it will be permanently activated?thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    If windows 10 is activated you can do an clean install yes ! Activation is HWID related so np :tea:

13. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #33 xinso, Sep 26, 2015
    Yes.

But remember that a free Windows 10 key might be Retail or Volume:MAK due to Daz-loader or KMS activated Windows 7/8.1.

And the preinstalled key of Windows 10 Pro image is Retail.

14. myabc

myabc MDL Member

Apr 19, 2014
    please help me... was in windows 8.1 update activated with kms. then i installed windows 10 pro throught update. now my windows 10 pro, with command SLMGR /xpr is activated permanently.

now, if i reinstall a clean windows 10 pro copy with my sign in in same machine without input serial number, will be activated, too? or have i to do a backup license?

thanks to all

15. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Yes if you reinstall on the same machine it will be activated no need for backup of license ;)

16. n33trox

n33trox MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    If I upgraded from the VL version of 8.1 to 10 and it activated, and is still considered Volume_MAK, will it still activate after clean install with an iso downloaded via Media Creation Tools? Isn't this ISO a retail version? Isn't there going to be any conflict, considering the fact that the license is VL and the media is Retail?

17. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Interesting question ! HWID looks at your machine installation id and verifies that with the MS activation servers as long as your ID is not changed it should activate as soon as you come online as far as I know. So is you would change your serial from MAK to Retail it should work with a generic key but the best way to find out is to trie it out and report back at us ;)

18. n33trox

n33trox MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    Ugh... I don't have time for another reinstall. Is there a way to change the license from VL to retail on the currently installed Windows 10 and see what happens?

19. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

You could enter an retail serial offcourse slui 3 at run :tea:

20. n33trox

n33trox MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    Just tried it and guess what - it activated successfully :D And now when I try slmgr /dlv, it says RETAIL channel.