Windows 10 D-S-T-DEZABLER

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RanCorX2, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016

Can relate but maybe we're too kind? People have computer/phone problems they ask me. Usually I can fix it (sometimes it's so simple I have to force myself not to laugh), try to explain what I did and they look at me as if I speak Arabic. Who needs to learn anything when we're around to do it for them. Oh well makes me feel appreciated.

2. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #262 MonarchX, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Yeah, disabling Shell Host completely and utterly destroys StartMenu UI - it will not load at all and apps like MS Edge do not show up in taskbar while running, but all normal desktop/non-Store apps work just fine and show up in taskbar.

When I disable UAC, the tweak to remove shortcut extensions does not work (extensions for shortcuts are still seen):

Also, have you figured out which of the ACPI drivers controls the power button? Mine does not shut down PC unless I hold it for 4-5 seconds, which forcefully just turns it off. I used to be able to press the power button once and it would correctly close all the applications and turn off my PC.

I know it is ACPI-related, but I am afraid to touch that because I don't know if other ACPI drivers were meant to start at Boot or System or On-Demand or Auto...

I tested these and disabling them did not break anything:
    - Device Association Service (drivers install via .exe files and via Device Manager just fine with this service disabled)
    - DevicesFlow/DevicesFlow27733 (never saw it start, I think purely Store-related)
    - Human Interface Driver Service (all HID's of mine work perfectly with this service disabled, hot buttons and etc. work fine)
    - Work Folders (never saw it start, don't even know what Work Folders are).

There are a lot of other tabs in Autoruns... Logon, Winlogon, LSA Providers, etc. I wonder if tinkering with them is dangerous...

3. sobre27

sobre27 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2016
    monarchx can you post a img of you latencymon stats?
    about the disabling nvidia container on the services.msc didn't notice any fps drops, what games did you test? just watch dogs and ghost recon? i played resident evil 7 yesterday and didn't notice anything but i wasn't paying atention to the fps but in general the game run smoothly going to give it a go today with the service enable/disabled;
    edit: its not a big deal but i can't run this:

"Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\unknown>netsh int tcp show global
    The following command was not found: int tcp show global."

netsh int tcp set global dca=enabled
    netsh int tcp set global netdma=enabled
    cant run this too, problably because i disabled this:
    snetcfg -u MS_PACER
    snetcfg -u MS_LLTDIO
    snetcfg -u MS_MSCLIENT
    snetcfg -u MS_SERVER
    snetcfg -u MS_IMPLAT
    snetcfg -u MS_LLDP
    snetcfg -u MS_RSPNDR
    @pause
    can you confirm me? thankyou.

4. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
  5. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
  6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Care to share those anti monitoring and logging tweaks? I kind of dislike that some processes are still running in the background at all times to monitor it.

As far as UAC goes, I brought up several exams of when it prevented things from working as they should, particularly when it comes to running stuff as user or as admin. I could not get that network tweak to work - it told me it could not find the .Exe in System32 folder, so I copied it into System32 folder and it worked.

7. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    ah well, never had a single issue with having uac off and that's dating back to when ms first introduced it, guess i'm just lucky :biggrin:

i'll add the reg tweaks a bit.

8. sobre27

sobre27 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2016
    +1! please share those man :worthy:

9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Still waiting on those reg tweaks to disable monitoring!

Now I am addicted to 2 fronts - tweaking DST's, but also making my own ISO's with MSMG and that tool let's you get rid of many SystemApps - from Cortana to Windows Defender!

10. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i uploaded the reg tweaks the other day, check onedrive.

11. v72dd

v72dd MDL Senior Member

Nov 20, 2016
    #273 v72dd, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Possible to remove AppxSvc, ClipSvc, App Readines, StateRepository, tilemodeldatasvc, TimeBrokerSvc offline?

12. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I would not touch those... Store is a deeply integrated part of Windows 10 and messing with those broke it Store and this somehow broke the OS for me each time. In fact, if I apply those tweaks, I cannot even launch Netflix App or Hulu App... I wish I knew which services are mandatory for those Apps. Removing tasks does not have any negative impact though. I have to go one by one to narrow down which service prevents Netflix from launching...

13. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
  14. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Disabling services does the same, but is more reversible. For example, it took me a long time to narrow down that WpnUserService_XXXXX is necessary for Netflix App to work. I Now I am stuck trying to figure out which services are required for Store updates/downloads to work. Also, I did not disable any driver services this time, but my PC Power Button does not work from within Windows...

I posted in another thread that I found a way to cleanly remove Cortana, ShellExperienceHost, and Windows Defender Secuirty without breaking anything other than the Start Menu (taskbar is not broken) - you have to those Apps Inbox=0, run Get/Remove Package X, reboot, and then use NSudo with CBSEnum to actually remove the packag files.

The biggest difference I experience from disabling tasks since some of them try to clean the OS, defrag, deliver something, verify, etc. The 2nd biggest difference was from getting rid of Store-related components (Cortana, ShellExperienceHost, and Windows Defender Security Health UI) from running in the background.

15. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i changed my mind about removals as you have to do it with each new windows release, either creating a new iso or removing after your've installed windows, just quicker to just kill all them services and tasks and then get back to whatever you do on ya pc.

no need to remove stuff if you can just disable it.

i noticed no improvemet when removing shell experience host, my guess it's just the placebo effect if you think windows 10 is better without it.

the improvements i noticed was after disabling the background services, tasks and defender and then disabling non essential logging / tracing.

16. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Some findings that may lead to revision of your driver service disabling selection:
    - Driver service SRV (you left on Auto) depends on driver service SRV2 (you set disabled), so both have to be either enabled or disabled - otherwise Event Log complains
    - 2 important driver services will break Netflix App and Netflix HTML5 Full HD viewing over Edge and IE - PEAUTH and MMCMSS (Multimedia Class Scheduler)
    - Disabling driver service SWENUM will break Logitech's and probably other brands' Webcam audio features

FYI, Netflix Store App is so sensitive to things that its a great App to use for testing how disabling whatever can possible affect multimedia functions.