Windows 10 D-S-T-DEZABLER

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RanCorX2, Jan 16, 2017.

1. v72dd

v72dd MDL Senior Member

Nov 20, 2016
    #281 v72dd, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    You cannot remove ShellExperienceHost without breaking context menu on taskbar + calendar + volume. I don't see how it can work without it.:rolleyes:

2. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Probably true. But I'd still love to have access to your Final work/ release on Windows 8.1 -
    - From that point I can do my own research and study and take Win 8.1 forward.
    - Your past work, would give me a starting point and give me insight as to what components you removed and I could choose to do the same and/ or remove some and disable some. E.g. I think default Apps must be removed, maybe store removal is risky.. so disable.

3. v72dd

v72dd MDL Senior Member

Nov 20, 2016
    By removing stuff you also reduce the attack surface. ;)

4. mooty221

mooty221 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2016
    Much thanks RanCorX2. One thing I noticed is when MMCSS is disabled the system clock never gets set to 0.5 anymore, only 1.0. So I recommend leaving that enabled unless you use a program like timertool.

5. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    sorry i deleted the files.

if your paranoid i guess, but if some things are disabled you are still secure.

6. surround

surround MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2014
    SRV/SRV2 is also needed for SERVER service, which together with TCP/IP NETBIOS HELPER and WORKSTATION services was needed for PSEXEC.EXE to aid SCHTASKS.EXE disable some tasks :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Which tasks would those be? I guess that it also means that Tasks should be disabled before SRV/SRV2, Workstation/Server services..?

8. surround

surround MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2014
    I had these unable to disable with "schtasks.exe /change /disable /TN <taskname>"

"\Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup\Metadata Refresh"
    "\Microsoft\Windows\EDP\EDP App Launch Task"
    "\Microsoft\Windows\EDP\EDP Auth Task"
    "\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\BackgroundUploadTask"

Found somewhere that Sysinternal's psexec.exe could help disable them "psexec.exe -i -s schtasks.exe /change /disable /TN <taskname>"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    You can just use NSudo to launch Autoruns or even CCleaner and disable them that way.

10. surround

surround MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2014
    At the end its all the same, use external program to enhance existing programs capabilities.

CCleaner - didn't find anything related to tasks, besides just startup things.
    Autoruns - asked for internet connection, so didn't bother to look for task specific options.
    psexec - was run in virtual machine, networking disabled, can't say anything about its connection interests, although it comes from the same source as autoruns.

11. digitalized

digitalized MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2017
    I know this is an old post, but it's the only place I could find reference to these package names...

Where do you obtain this list of packages from? Get-WindowsPackage doesn't list any of these...

Thanks