Windows 10 D-S-T-DEZABLER

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RanCorX2, Jan 16, 2017.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #61 RanCorX2, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    (OP)
    That can't be done as files & folders are removed / uninstalled from multiple locations, if your talking about a backup, you should either give it a shot in vmware first or do a backup of windows.

be warned though, some of the batches remove;

windows backup, recovery disc creator, system restore, block level backup (never use any of these in the past on any version of windows)
    i don't think i've uploaded those yet though

however if your like me and have a very minimal install of software, a reinstall shouldn't be an issue.
    i just backup settings of installed software and have reg files to restore explorer settings etc and backup my docs, pics, music is on a seperate ssd,
    batch files to disable services and task upon reinstall, reg files to turn of various backing logging etc..

best way to know what you've removed is to put all the batches you've use in a folder and name it something like "used" and ones you might not use in "unused".

i tried AIMP but for some reason it always it makes explorer / the desktop unresponsive / slow after closing, i've had this happen before with another app which i can't recall it's name..so i've stuck with itunes for now.

2. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    sorry for not reuploading yet, had to take care of something else, will try get back to this shortly.

i've changed / removed some of the batches, found a few things that broke that i missed.

network button on lockscreen would cause a lockup - got to find out which package broke that

3. freesoft00

freesoft00 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    Whether can be uploaded to the following a cloud disk
    mega.nz
    disk.yandex.com
    Mediafire I can't download here.
    Thank you

4. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i have a mega account, so i'll put the stuff there.

5. freesoft00

freesoft00 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    thank you!...

6. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #66 RanCorX2, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    (OP)
    i've done a few more bits (nothing uploaded yet) kinda turning this into a windows tweak package....
    won't go overboard though, not including loads of reg tweaks, trying to keep things simple

event logging and tracing

disabled all windows event logs except the main ones (10 logs) all the ones under sub folder microsoft are now off
    all logs set to 1mb, overwrite, that way you don't get a massive log file, still lists loads of stuff

disabled background trace logging for everything but the event logs (if you disable those, eventlog stops working)

services

revised services and driver services lists, removed one that stopped mounting of iso's vdrvroot & vhdmp
    added windows defender, extra push notification service, appid, embedded mode and a few others

the idea of the driver service list is to speed up windows boot, if a driver is set to demand it's still loaded when booting (if you enable the visual boot log it lists all drivers when booting) setting unused ones to disabled shortens the list and boot time decreases a little bit) can also see this in autoruns, it only lists drivers not set to disabled.

the idea of the standard windows service list is to keep better track of services running on your system, seeing all the unused ones on disabled makes it easier to see what's running or on manual.

security tweaks

disable netbios over tcpip and fully disable dcom (closes port 135) this used to stop task schedular from working but doesn't in newer windows versions (think that applied to 7 and below, may be wrong, i know it works on 8 & 10)

misc tweaks

disable windows game bar, now for some reason when the game bar loads for some programs (even if they are not games)
    explorer / desktop instantly becomes very unresponsive and sluggish, not sure if it's a nvidia driver issue or just the gamebar or both, i did try a few different drivers and opened a test app (dolphin) the game bar popped up and explorer went all slow

disabled the gamebar and sigined in and out and loaded dolphin again, no explorer lag.

issue may not be present for everyone but it is for me, and i only just solved it...

i can now try the media player a user recommended me earlier but it suffered from explorer lag when i tried it.

network protocol remover

batch file to automatically remove the unused protocols (just leaves ipv4/6)

subinacl list

batch file to disable windows loading certain programs like cortana
    useful for those who don't want to remove components

also working on removing;

immersive control panel (can't seem to uninstall it like on w8)
    remove all the immersive ui files (dlls and executables) without breaking general desktop experience

the goal is to be left with just the shell + start menu

ms seem to have made package removal easier on w10 some stuff i couldn't remove on 8 gets removed on 10 but there's other stuff like the settings control panel that can't be uninstalled now...boo
    couldn't find where it stores all the windows settings, so i thought i'd just remove it...can't be arsed to go thourgh all the settiings every reinstall

removing the settings app just breaks a load of stuff, so it has to stay. sorry for not re-upping anything yet, had some other non comp jobs that needed doing.

7. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #67 RanCorX2, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    (OP)
    probably for the best i do a re-up with some changes, i found the removed package that breaks the network flyout on the lock screen

network switch management package

decided to keep the maps app, so i think the you need the location package for that or the app opens and closes

if you remove frame server, edge stops working

one package breaks the refresh windows option and upon checking the files it removes are bit locker drive encryption..not sure why they are needed to refresh windows???
    so i'm in the process of narrowing that one down

secure startup breaks refresh windows if removed

anothr makes doing an upgrade fail before you get to the select what you want to keep. once i figure out those two issues i can upload the batches again.

still on the hunt for a new browser but i can't seem to find one i want to stick with..

opera has the stupid speed dial crap and no home button on toolbar

google chrome has no sidebar and the ones people have made as extensions are pretty awful
    plus it opens over 10 processes on startup, why? i thought it was for tabs but you get them with only one open...

firefox is just a memory leak pretending to be a browser

safari appears to be discontinued on pc

anyone got a suggestion?

8. mooty221

mooty221 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2016
    palemoon portable is nice and light. but some addons from regular firefox don't work

9. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    been revising batch files to retain the maps app, taken hours to narrow down what i need to keep for it to work but i'm close...

btw to download the whole world map for offline use, it's 25gb. (excludes 3d cities and aerial sat view) still good for route planning etc.

10. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    Nice work RanCorX2!I will wait to try it! :p

11. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    I'm working on a solution without install_tweaks. It uses flat textfiles - crawles them from a folder, creates a dynamic list from all txts in the folder and removes the parts with dism.
    Basicly it's "the same" but from my previous tests in 2015, I remember removing with install_tweak resulted in different images (equal packages) than using dism (as I do). - Maybe this was just false observation from me, but I'm pretty sure on this behavior.

My script is working fine so far and can also add packages.
    I have to investigate some issues with converting editions, therefore there is no release yet.

12. Svoll

Svoll MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    I tried the tweaks and it made windows amazing fast, I do notice that Windows update is not working. I really like the tweak, how else would I be able to keep my windows and office up to date with this tweak. Tried wsus offline update, would that download everything I need?

13. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    How did you cripple it?

Can recommend setting ethernet or wlan to metered, that way win update stays unrouched but will wait for order to still use the metered connection. Additonally i set my wu to manual.

No problems here with that set up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Svoll

Svoll MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    #74 Svoll, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    I have no idea how I messed up WU. I did as you said, set WU manual and metered connection. Same results. I did a restore, and after running batch 1, windows still works, running the services tweak is what caused WU to not work. I wonder what is need for WU. Let me try to enable SAM and go from there.

15. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Found 2 CMDs under Tweaks/Tweaked Services, from a first look question would be is there still any service running ...?

I tend to disable the ones i now, like search, xbox and some more. Not that much actually.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    the tweaked services files shouldn't disable windows update as i still have it enabled.

i did find one line i had to remove that i missed;

sc config LanmanWorkstation start= disabled

needs to be set back to Auto or when you run setup from a windows disc or iso it gives you an error after the eula screen.

17. v72dd

v72dd MDL Senior Member

Nov 20, 2016
    If you delete TaskScheduler it works. It is only unstable if you disable it.

You need to provide a dummy schtasks.exe for Office2016 to install in the Windows\SysWoW64\ directory.

18. Svoll

Svoll MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    Managed to figure it out, It was stuck at the blank screen, once I enable update orchestrator service, Windows Update is functioning. Not sure if it would download but at least it is checking for updates. Will find out on Patch Tuesday! Once again this is an awesome mod and tweak, Thank you @RanCorX2! I applied everything but the windows media codecs, Player is disabled. Windows is flying after apply the tweaks!

19. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    yep, not sure why i set the uso service to disabled, will re-up amended bat. sorry :)

20. dasag

dasag MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Thanks for your efforts.

But.. doesn't Yasser Da Silvas "Windows 10 Toggle Tweaker" do the same thing.?

Just asking..