Windows 10 Display Driver

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 44Adam, Aug 22, 2016.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I've already said it twice. The reason is ease of usage, and speed. Are there other ways, yes, of course there are.

It is my opinion that SDI is the fastest way to a solution. That may not be your opinion.

You know that old saying.... " Opinions are like........ noses.... everybody's got one"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    But how does using a driver pack make installing a graphics driver easier and speedier? We don't even know what driver version the pack is going to download, and generally speaking, all of AMD's Catalyst packages are about the same filesize (so manual download or the driver pack will likely end up downloading about 200-300MB for a driver anyway). Not to mention, the driver pack isn't going to remove old driver bits either like DDU would (and DDU exists solely because AMD/NVIDIA/Intel drivers don't remove old driver bits, which has caused a range of problems).

Say I'm having issues with the windshield wipers in my car. I could remove the old ones properly and get newer ones from a known manufacturer directly that are stated to work, or I could order a huge box of parts from a 3rd-party that might have windshield wipers of who knows what quality that just install on-top of the old ones :p

3. 44Adam

44Adam MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2016
    Thank you lad, it really helped :clap:

4. rockyanexpert

rockyanexpert MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    In that case you must know your car's wiper and its Manufacturer.
    But if somebody doesnot know, he will have to depend on others to do there job.
    Driver installers/packs do good job. Even Dell/Lenovo use them and its a fact!:biggrin::biggrin:

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    True, but in this situation, we do know that (both the GPU and laptop model were mentioned already).

Driver packs are convenient (the few that aren't just a pile of malware and outdated drivers of course), but I'm still not convinced they would beat a manual approach. Finding the hardware out in a computer is simple, and in most cases the manufacturer's site has a driver readily available to download and trustworthy. And those that want to dig a little deeper can find updated drivers as well from places like win-raid, StationDrivers, and even tenforums (found a nice thread there earlier with updated Realtek HDA drivers).

6. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #26 ChaserLee, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    You are most welcome! Glad that you finally have a working display driver.

Let this be a demonstration to those reading this thread.... It pays to keep an open mind. You never know what you'll learn. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I'm going to go out on a limb, and make the assumption that you have never actually used SDI. Would I be correct in that assumption? It would explain your question above.

8. andruszd

andruszd MDL Novice

May 26, 2011
    Just had a problem with a DEll E6500 for similar driver issue , so used the offline driverpack solution pack to id the device id then used there download service ( used the windows 8 driver thought it was not listed for the device , by the way it was for a intel display driver 4.x ) and that worked for me. this driver is porbaly the same for the whole series but win 10 us dumb and does not download the correct one :mad:

9. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    #29 glennsamuel32, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Funny that my case is different...
    Installed the very latest nVidia drivers for my laptop...
    Screen started freezing after coming out of sleep mode...
    Used DDU and removed---then installed the latest windows update...
    Working perfect now...
    Must be because of the new WDDM 2.1 specification that MS supports on the OS...
    Goes to show the latest isn't always the best and Windows updates isn't all bad for drivers :eek:

1 hour later --- same thing starts again :eek::eek:
    Back to SDI and will continue testing :eek::eek:

10. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    If you set SDI to Advanced mode, it will usually give you several options for drivers that are needed.. such as newest driver or Best driver for your system. I normally choose the BEST driver, not the newest. SDI makes these choices based upon the ID of the device. When the list of driver results are shown, you can hover your pointer over any given driver to see the details. Try that...

11. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Been using SDI for about 6 months with all extended options ;);)
    The folder is 18+ gb !!
    Just thought I'll try with the latest driver available...

12. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    OK. Another tip, your folder doesn't have to be that large, unless you plan to use the program for installing drivers on many, many, many computers, and in an offline environment. See those driver packs have ALL the drivers they index, and that's why it's such a large directory.

If you only intend to use it for yourself, all you really need to do is to delete that entire 18GB directory, then download the newest SDI program only. Run the program, and as you know, it will tell you there are driverpacks and an index available for dl. Just pick the index, and once it's downloaded, I should show you a list of drivers for your computer that it feels need installing. At that point, you choose the driver you want, click the box, then choose install. Then and only then, will SDI go out and download your particular driver from the driverpack, and after it's downloaded, install begins....

That way, you still get to pick and choose the driver you want, but you don't have a huge folder, just a very minimal one with drivers for your computer only. ;)