Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N - Pure Desktop version, Flexible updates, no Modern Apps

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pawX, Jul 29, 2015.

1. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm definitely going to be using this Windows 10 version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. XxBrazilianoxX

XxBrazilianoxX MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Lol same here I even changed the "Configure Automatic Updates" to disabled and still install automaticaly!

3. gankthoven

gankthoven MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2011
    do all versions of 10n come without cortana and the apps or just enterprise n? could u daz load 10n pro for example to run without cortana and the apps?

4. XxBrazilianoxX

XxBrazilianoxX MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I can confirm that this is not confirmed through group policy edit! you are welcome to correct me anyway.

5. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    How is this different then using group policy to "notify download and notify install" on normal Pro? You still can't select / hide updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. compgen_1534

compgen_1534 MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2015
    #28 compgen_1534, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    The "Configure Automatic Updates" is supposed to be set to enabled
    If u all hadn't jumped the gun and actually looked at the help info for it, you would've seen To manually download updates, select enabled.

Either way it doesn't work. Tested it out.
    --------------
    Oh... And can the OP change the title of this thread a bit. A little misleading because not everyone has the ability to download manually
    Only wifi users can
    Not Ethernet at the moment
    It should look something like this

LTSB Enterprise doesn't let you download updates manually unless you have Wi-Fi
    Can't select updates as well.

-------------
    There's no difference. Already talked to a Microsoft tech and already confirmed there's no way to pick updates you want on this ltsb SKU.
    It's either all or nothing.

Everybody just stick to the normal enterprise or pro or core.
    This piece of Crap doesn't even come with an App Store, edge, or feature updates...
    Just some contact support and only search. Cortana disabled.

7. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    The whole point of LTSB is stability and security. Yeah, you can't pick updates or disable automatic updates, but UNLIKE other 10 SKUS LTSB only downloads security patches, and is therefore meant for environments requiring stability.

8. compgen_1534

compgen_1534 MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2015
    For enterprise it's awesome but for the average home user I would definitely not recommend using this.
    It's not worth it loosing all those features

We already have the show and hide tools

And we can select our updates in any version of windows 10

All you have to do is create a WSUS server which I'm planning to do soon...

9. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    True, for 99% of PCS other SKUS are fine, but LTSB is still interesting, and that's why I'm keeping tabs on what people are finding with it.

I doubt other SKUS will get unstable from updates. And even if they do, there's always Defer Upgrades ;)

10. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #32 abbodi1406, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    This package is just a small part of telemetry system, it won't remove it

Microsoft-Windows-Prerelease-Client-Package installs:
    Microsoft-Windows-DiagTrack-Internal-Package which has:
    Code:
    diagtrack_wininternal.dll
    [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\DiagTrack]
    "MSFTInternal"=0x00000001

--

Microsoft-OneCore-AllowTelemetry-Reduced-Default-Package
    Code:
    [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection]
    "AllowTelemetry"=dword:00000002
    this is the main telemetry package
    Microsoft-OneCore-TroubleShooting-Package
    Code:
    Windows Performance Recorder (wpr), Resource Leak Diagnostic rdrleakdiag.exe, Diagnostics Tracking / Unified Telemetry Client / Asimov diagtrack.dll

11. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I just clean installed Windows 10 N 2015 LTSB and am LOVING it !, I love how there's no Metro apps in it, No Cortona, No Edge, This thing is awesome ! finally a real Desktop OS, With Start10 installed of course. :D

12. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
  13. Rikimtasu

Rikimtasu MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks for clarifying. So i take it that as you said on OP post that this is ONLY on LTSB N not normal LTSB?

14. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    It should work on any *LTSB* version, but not on any *Enterprise*. I didn't check normal LTSB but i did check normal Enterprise. I think LTSB N is simply LTSB without Windows Media Player and similar programs.

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    KB3074681 was a "security" update, and that broke Windows 10 until *83 was released

16. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    Is there a way to set group policies via a script, without going to a full retard Windows AD setup and without installing too many extra tools, i.e. install Enterprise LTSB, run script, be happy?

17. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    If I'm not mistaken, every change in group policy also changes something in the registry, so i think if you invest time once in checking what each settings changes in the registry, you could create a .reg file that you can run after an install.

18. MikeMSDN

MikeMSDN MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    Either you choose ''download from metered...'',either you choose to edit group settings,it does the same things?