Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N - Pure Desktop version, Flexible updates, no Modern Apps

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pawX, Jul 29, 2015.

1. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    @paarkhi what for? Ltsb ain't no pure desktop you have to clean it just a bit less than home. If this thread was sticky then any other Windows thread should be sticky too.

2. geneticplasma

geneticplasma MDL Senior Member

May 13, 2011
    Is it possible to do an upgrade (keeping settings etc.) from PRO to LTSB without complete new install?

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Officially no, practically yes.

You have to edit two items

EditionID

and

ProductName

in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\

4. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    I searched this thread (and Google) and couldn't find an answer....does 10 Ent LTSB have DX12 (either out of the box or with the media additions update)? I'm playing with it in a VM but dxdiag only reports DX9C...and I'm wondering if that's due to VirtualBox's display driver.

5. cassades2014

cassades2014 MDL Junior Member

May 11, 2013
    can u show us a link and a good custom answer file thx.

6. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Of course it is spy-free. All Windows is spy-free.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    The most interesting Windows os is Windows 10 home as its fun making it crap free. And should add because some might not even know that even 10 has telemetry and other crapware that's still nothing comparing to Google roms;) and when you install Google room you will get one package called Android os sending bunch of data to Google every sometime and you can't do almost anything to stop it Microsoft at least let you remove packages

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Anything we can do to take all the fun out of the OS, right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    You have to have at least some fun isn't it? ;)

10. Xaxa

Xaxa MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2010
    Yeah OOShutUp look as nice tool, but jesus, it is so strange to use!!! I mean when I turn any switch to green is that mean the settings is applied immediately???? Because there is not any APPLY button or anything so I dont want to believe that turning defender off for example takes zero seconds etc. Maybe I overlooked something but as I can not see the program does any work I dont like it :D

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Yes looks like that ithe UI t's written by a dumb mac user :D

12. hazark

hazark MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2015
    #513 hazark, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Its due to virtual box display driver I reckon, anyhow as confirmed by scandal above it will show DX12 when run in full hardware and not virtual.

There is a apply button, its in the main heading.... think its called apply settings etc
    You may have to select a setting or two or apply recommended settings for that option to pop up, play around with it but that option was there once applied you can close the program, reload it and any changes should stick :clap:

edit see here:
    can't post links so google>O&O ShutUp10: Configure Security And Privacy ... - Into Windows

its under Actions button then apply all settings

13. hazark

hazark MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2015
    Does it not make these adjustments in the registry? That may explain why no hdd trashing or activity.....

I do get your point though I too thought has it actually done anything since it felt like nothing is done. I guess one way to check it is to enable something and then run that tool and then check it within windows privacy settings.....

I am on other platforms and testing linux myself atm so bit of a struggle to fire up VM or Win10 otherwise would check it but perhaps another win 10 user can confirm if it actually works, would be strange if it did not work !

14. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #516 johnye_pt, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    I believe it applies any settings you change "on the fly", for example if one of the settings disables a service, it just sets it to disabled but that won't happen until Windows is restarted, other settings might require explorer.exe process to close and restart.

The Actions button is easy to understand: 1st option enables all settings with green checkmark, 2nd option enables all settings with green checkmark and with warning triangle, 3rd option enables all settings, last two options are self explanatory.

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Yes it applies the settings on the fly, just like editing the registry by hand.

16. Xaxa

Xaxa MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2010
    Simple pop up window saying the restart is required after you chose your privacy settings would be great and would let nobody think "does it do anything at all? :biggrin:

17. hazark

hazark MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2015
    I checked more into O&O shutup the thread is location on the main thread here outlines more detail so its worth a read it is indeed done on the fly and via registry changes it looks. Also I did get a chance to test it via VM and it does actually pop up with a window sometimes that it needs to reboot to take changes into effect but this window appears sometimes only, at least we know its worked in one way!

Also I would suggest re-checking the program after a reboot since 1-2 options may become undone(goes to red slider), it maybe that you have to reapply settings or get the updated version. I however don't trust programs to much so would recommend peerblock and add the microsoft list of bad IPs so effectively you have one program blocking telemetry and peerblock another backup program blocking any other MS IPs with the benefit it updates the list daily.

18. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    I always see this with the Telemetry setting, I believe it's the 3rd. One minute it's green, and a few reboots later (or a few days later), I check and it's red again. Very odd. Not sure if there's an MS update that ticks this back over, or if the setting is one that doesn't ever really 'stay put'. Seems like all the others stay green after they've been put there.