Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N - Pure Desktop version, Flexible updates, no Modern Apps

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pawX, Jul 29, 2015.

1. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Not the same because metered is only for WiFi and not for Ethernet.

2. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    If possible I'd like to stick to the "official" interface and not dive into the registry since the connection between the two might be more subtle than just "change this and watch what changes in the registry".

I found some PowerShell stuff that can interface with the policy, but that needs an additional install.

3. MikeMSDN

MikeMSDN MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    #43 MikeMSDN, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    But I've also found that your trick (in case of some Ethernet/LAN/WLAN users) won't work ONLY (JUST) with those group edits.
    What now?

4. Finguz

Finguz MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2013
    I have been using powershell to hide unwanted updates for the last few months and it works.

I can't post the link though because I don't have enough posts, so..

http: // hmemcpy.com/2015/04/preventing-a-certain-windows-update-from-installing-on-windows-10/

:cool:

5. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    If you change all the group edits from the original post, reboot your computer, let updates install once if they want to, the setting should stick. Ever since, it never installed automatically and always required me to hit the 'Download' button. Even on daily Defender updates. And I'm using Ethernet.

6. MikeMSDN

MikeMSDN MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    Thanks.Since I can't see any link from MS for LTSB,I'll wait until the 2nd week of August.

7. MikeMSDN

MikeMSDN MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    Never found that version (from the picture) here.
    If you have it,please upload it on Mega. (as I can download it too)
    Thanks.

8. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Windows without store and apps is like man without head.

So you can install windows 7. It almost the same.

9. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    #52 Soulfate, Jul 30, 2015
    Windows 7 and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB are almost the same ?
    So OS improvements and sh*t are just goodies and eye candies ?
    And Windows XP = Windows 7, huh ? Oh no sorry, I've forgotten that Aero Glass is a huge difference.

Seriously, there are so many people that they want a purely desktop but modern OS, this edition is exactly what they are looking for.

10. odjinan

odjinan MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2013
    its an enterprise version, you're not suppose to play angry bird or watch movies at work, you know?

anyway, thanks for the topic, its a very interesting version to test ^^

11. MikeMSDN

MikeMSDN MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    #54 MikeMSDN, Jul 30, 2015
    Will OP's trick work on any non-N LTSB version?

12. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    But only this version has no Store. In regular enterprise you can play with apps like in Home and Pro.

13. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    It should work on normal LTSB. Just not on normal Enterprise.

Yep. Enterprise = Store, Cortana, Edge, Apps. LTSB = No store or apps or Edge, apps are replaced by classic programs (no Calculator app, but instead the calculator from 8.1 and so on).

And of course, LTSB actually listens to the group policy regarding notify of updates, while normal Enterprise doesn't.

Those are the main differences.

14. gankthoven

gankthoven MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2011
    10 has improved core utilization and better memory management and dx12. im not impressed with the app store to put it nicely and want basic indexing without the cortana and web results.

15. P-Dude

P-Dude MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2009
    No dice. I set up the settings this morning as shown on the screenshots, restarted, installed the first batch of updates, restarted again, and just now when I manually checked for updates an update for Windows Defender was downloaded and installed without notification or pause.