[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Enterprise (N) LTSC 2019

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tito, Feb 1, 2018.

1. PsychedelicShaman

PsychedelicShaman MDL Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Hopefully this month, i also can't wait for it because im building new powerful desktop PC very soon. :D

2. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I was thinking about updating to the new LTSC version since I recently upgraded my gaming rig a while ago.
    LTSB 2016 didn't work so well on it so I decided to try 1803 Enterprise version out and to my surprise it worked really well once I de-bloated it.

All my old stuff worked right off the bat and everything else seems to be working good too.

It's a tough choice to make if I'm gonna go for LTSC or just call it quits and stay with 1803, all this testing I just don't got the time for it anymore.

3. HaggisIV

HaggisIV MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2018
    #63 HaggisIV, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Could you elaborate on what you meant by that?
    I believe one of the 'downsides' to LTSB/LTSC is that they do not add driver support for newer hardware released after the iso becomes available. Is that what you're referring to?

4. jonaaa

jonaaa MDL Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Probably, LTSB 2016 works fine on my 7th Gen CPU with a GTX 1060.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Anyone know if w8.1 works on coffee lake and are there official drivers? INF installer package i mean.

6. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I absolutely loved 1607 LTSB and on my old hardware it worked great (It really was a true Windows 7 replacement), unfortunately it wasn't stable at all on my new machine so that ship have sailed and sunk.
    I've read a few posts from different forums that newer CPU's could work with 1607 LTSB despite being unsupported but in my case I wasn't as lucky.

The new LTSC version coming out is tempting but going through all the testing again is a PITA, I rather just stick with 1803 and being sane mentally.

I don't know about Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 on newer CPU's and I doubt they would work good but you'll never know until you have tried it out.
    Windows 10 seems to be very finicky when it comes to hardware though, but since they changed Windows to being a service a lot of stuff have happened.

7. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    LTSC 2018 is going to be a new os with all the malarky you normally get. W8.1, 10 1607, 1709 and 1803 should be relatively stable. According to my motherboard web page the inf installer only supports 1709 and 1803.

8. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

If I know myself right I'll get LTSC eventually, I can never make up my mind on things and I tend to contradict myself all the time.
    Going from 1607 LTSB (which I actually used for 2 consecutive years) to 1803 was a pretty big jump and a lot changed so maybe going from 1803 to LTSC isn't going to be that much of a change.

It's fun installing a LTSB/LTSC version knowing that you don't have to de-bloat it but having to test things and learn yet another Windows version isn't that fun in the long run.

But that's the beauty of MDL, before I even think about updating I can always rely on this place and the people here who test new things out.
    If people love the new LTSC and have little to none issues with it, I would be pretty confident in updating.

9. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Im not ordering the ram until late next week so me got time to make contingency plans justin case.

10. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

It might as well could be but no matter how many times I did clean installs the problems were still there and they even started right away.
    However when I disabled Windows Defender (like I always do because the machine is offline) Windows became a unresponsive mess completely.

All this forced me to shift to 1803 which made things good again.

If it's not CPU related then it has to be something else in my new machine that's causing it, everything in it is new and different from my old.

1607 LTSB will always be remembered.

11. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    :cheers: What inf installer version are you using?

12. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
  13. HaggisIV

HaggisIV MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2018
    Wow I wasn't aware there were actually hardware components that wouldn't work with ltsb. I thought it was more of an excuse to deter people from using it than an actual issue.
    Luckily works fine on my ryzen 1600 and gtx 1070.

14. WinFree

WinFree MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2016
    I read somewhere that next Windows update that may come in October will have dark mode in the File explorer. Can we expect same with the next LTSC 2018/2019?

15. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Yea server 2019 have this feature so...

16. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    been running LTSB 2016 on all kind of hardware old and new never had compatibility issues - I always get the manufacturer motherboard, graphics, audio, chipset drivers manually I never use Windows update or driver software.

my current laptop i7-8750H runs beautiful, lean and fast.
    previous desktop i7 8700K same no issues.

and of course Xeon CPU with LTSB 2016 = a marriage made in heaven :cool: