Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Caused Permission Issues and others

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kidcryptid, Jan 28, 2018.

1. kidcryptid

kidcryptid MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2013
    I recently just updated my Windows 10 machine to the 1709 Fall Creators Update. I had been putting it off to because I didn't feel like dealing with any headaches it might cause, but last night decided to just do it. Unfortunately, it did indeed cause some headaches. I have two additional HDDs connected to my machine via an IcyDock external enclosure. The Windows update appears to have caused some problems for the connected HDDs (nothing seems wrong with the one my OS is installed on so far).

One disk I fixed already, but the problem was Windows said the disk needing formatting before being able to be used (it said the same thing when connecting the drive to other Windows machines). I decided to run a chkdsk on it, and it found some errors (boot sector unreadable or corrupt). Then I ran chkdsk again with the /f option which fixed the disk and made it readable again.

The second disk has some sort of permissions issue so now that any directory I attempt to open on the drive tells me that I don't have the permission to view, and that I need to continue as an Administrator. When I continue as an Administrator then I can read/write files just fine. But this is causing issues with applications that I run from a user level (e.g. Kodi) from being denied access.

I'm sure I can adjust the permissions and I plan on looking into it more in depth. But I'm more curious if anyone has experienced issues like this, and does anyone have any clue why the 1709 update would have first of all caused errors in the boot sector/indexing of the first disk, and the permissions issue in the second disk?