Windows 10 - help please

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lostpassword, May 7, 2015.

1. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I am not trying to be lazy, and have read most of the threads, but cannot work out what to do.

I know that maybe there is no benefit in using 10 at the moment, but feel I ought to try and keep up. I would install it on an old PC which is powerful enough, but not my main machine. I always use KILLDISK to wipe all drives before starting any install. I then set BIOS to SATA as none of my PCs seem to recognize the install disk/ISO in UEFI mode. I have not grasped the real differences but seem to make it work if BIOS set to SATA.

I would like to use the GB 32 bit mode and can cope with an ESD file or ISO file. Looking at the links, one is offering a download called 10074.0.150424-135.fbl (a load more).ESD - (shortened to save time)

1 - Is the above file the correct one to use? - I am not trying to be clever, and only need the basics. I do not use any games, but normally just Chrome, Office 2013, Photoshop 6 and my old DOS database.

2 - Do I need a key to install? - I find with 8.1 that on my laptop I had to use the generic key, and was then able to use my legal key, retrieved before wiping disk to activate.

3 - If so is it easy to find the generic key? - a pm would be very helpful if this is required
    Do I then activate using Windows Toolkit 2.51?

I think that these are the only questions I need to be answered. I would be very grateful for a simple answer. I have terrific respect for the posters on the forum, and I find it quite difficult to keep up. I feel lost on Windows 10 and do not want to fall further behind.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    1. That looks to be the last official one that has been released, though you can grab the official iso from MS for this build.
    2. Shouldn't need a key.
    3. No need to activate. It will do it itself when you bring it online.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks very much for the 2 replies Skaendo and abbodi1406. I am relieved to discover that there seem to be no extremely complicated procedures to install 10, and I am downloading from Microsoft using the above link. Presumably once Windows 10 is fully running, and after 12 months there will be the need for something like the Toolkit.

4. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    i thought if your computer is in uefi mode and you want to boot from a disc drive you set your computer to legacy mode. :confused:

5. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    no microsoft has said we can just keep updating,and it is free for the lifetime of the machine.

6. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I'm running win 10 build 10074 on a atom based netbook (first series) as a main OS...
    You can expect some glitches as it's not ironed completely yet but it's worth installing it on the "other" PC ;)

7. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks again to all who have helped me. The installation went perfectly, until I had to login with Microsoft Account. I did not have an account for the old machine, and the create new account option did not work - probably something to do with Internet connection, even though attached to router by Ethernet). It just hung with blue circle going round and round. I created a verified new account and password on my other PC.
    Booted from DVD and chose reset settings (careful to wipe only installation drive) - took some time but eventually let me re-enter user name. This time with a verified account name and password it worked perfectly. One error whilst rebooting re explorer - did not catch the error code no. Clicked and it carried on and seems to work perfectly. Just installed Chrome as browser.

So far very impressed and it asked me to confirm user name password on my main machine (one that had created new user which it accepted to my relief.) ie. it had not insisted on using newly created Win 10 user name on other main machine.

Only other problem was trying to use Baidu. You need to install BaiduYunGuanjia_5.2.7.exe, and maybe allow npapi in Chrome. Just would not successfully download program on Widows 10, but downloaded at 2nd attempt on 8.1. Once installed on Win10 PC everything on Baidu worked as usual.

To sum up - I think all problems have been my fault and Windows 10 seems very reliable so far.