Windows 10 Home users may not be able to opt out of Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by badboy, Jun 2, 2015.

1. badboy

badboy MDL Junior Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. badboy

badboy MDL Junior Member

Jan 7, 2009
    News to me and others.

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Others ? not me ;)

5. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I think this is actually a good thing because I know that many of my friends have changed their settings before now and would use the excuse that they'll get around to installing the updates when they're ready to do it. If I were to look at some of their PC's right now though then I guarantee a few of them will be a whole year or two behind on the updates. That's obviously a huge security issue, so I think Microsoft is doing the right thing to make the home user base more secure.

A lot of people here at MDL will be using Windows 10 Enterprise anyway, so we'll still have more options.

6. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Pro will have Windows Update for Business and more options you don't need.

7. bb12489

bb12489 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2011
    This is great. It will keep everyone more secure. Non one ever consciously does updates as is.

8. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    That depends on where you work and what you do. But either way, forced updates for most people are a good thing IMO. Hopefully Windows 10 won't nag about rebooting too much though.

9. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Im gonna agree with Daz; Im glad Home users will be FORCED to update always without opting out. It makes sense and will make things a lot more secure for everyone in general.

10. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I agree totally, although some people can get over-sensitive about such things.

11. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    I think it's a good thing, too, but maybe a little bit too restrictive. For example, while it makes sense to force install security patches, I'm not so sure about feature updates. There could still be an opt-out mechanism for updates that are not security related.

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    And why exactly? can you give one single reason why you should be able to ignore feature updates? what exactly does one gain?

13. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    only issue i see is when an update will screw the system up :(

14. khagaroth

khagaroth MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2010
    One real world example from the preview testing: WU was stubbornly installing a driver update that was making the computer completely unusable. In the end I had to resolve to some PowerShell woodoo magic (suggested by a MS technician) to make it stop doing that. Which wasn't exactly simple, since it had to be run before WU started it's detection and since it's starting very early after reboot, it took me several tries, before I succeeded. Not fun.

15. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Features aren't drivers.

Eitherway Home users aren't the first people who get updates, Insiders are, these are the the people who will test updates before the roll out to most other people and even before insiders microsoft does also internal testing, it goes through some steps before it reaches you.

16. grahamjohnson10

grahamjohnson10 MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Looks like someone has worked out a way to totally disable Windows 10 updates.

I have not tried this myself so it comes with no guarantees.

4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/

17. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Old trick won't work on 10122 and above, updates will be downloaded no matter what
    the only way is to disable BITS service or WU service itself

18. Shadykillas

Shadykillas MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2011
    True Microsoft has released buggy updates in the past. But I do think that a far more common problem is Exploit Wednesday (what happens after patch Tuesday). This will for the most part be a good thing I think. The metric for if this will be good or bad will be if we see a lot less compromised computers or if we see more computers broken because of bad updates. Time will be the true test of this pays off or not.

19. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009