Windows 10 Home users may not be able to opt out of Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by badboy, Jun 2, 2015.

1. e1D

e1D MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2015
    I don't think Microsoft should do this because those who want to disable WU will do it anyway, the only difference will be how they do it.

2. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Maybe I put it the wrong way. I didn't exactly mean just feature updates but optional ones. For example, when I look at Windows 8.1 today, it always offers me Skype for Desktop as an optional update - but what if people don't use certain stuff like that and don't want it on their PC (in general)? Plus, just because it's Home users doesn't mean all of them are Dumb users (no offense) who don't know how to control updates. If security patches are mandatory that's OK, but I'm not sure if optional stuff has to be.

3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Since MS has stated that Volume users will continue to be able to choose what, how, and when they get their updates, there should be some way to figure out the same for other editions.

5. Corvinus

Corvinus MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2014
    One scenario I'm immediately concerned about is if an update is buggy to the point that it crashes the system. Then you roll back. And it will force exactly the same update again without you being able to pause or delay it until fixed. They probably (gotta have) a way around something like that.

6. xomniversex

xomniversex MDL Member

Sep 20, 2012
    #26 xomniversex, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    It's probably for the best.

They should limit the ability to skip or delay updates to verified business users. By verified I mean they must provide proof that the workstation or server they are using is part of a corporate network. The rest, because of DDoS botnets, spam botnets, etc its good for the general community of the internet to force machines to stay up to date. The average end user (not most people on MDL of course) are dumb as a box of rocks and their insecure machines are what enables DDoS attacks, spam, and other garbage. They cannot be trusted to micromanage security patches.

IRC networks ban the "root" ident to ensure Linux novices can't connect as root. You can bet they would if they were allowed to though. For the sake of convenience over security at the expense of the informed.

Maybe on a case-by-case basis someone who has A+ certification and maybe MCSE certification can get a special add-in package that allows customization - perhaps the same one that would be given to verified business users in such a scenario. But the moment either group gets infected with something that makes their network become part of a botnet they are banned from using such a package ever again. Zero tolerance.

That said, if you don't like this you can probably load the Windows Update resources files in a disassembler such as OllyDbg or IDA Pro and change instructions to re-add this functionality.

Honestly though, I am sick of people's incompetence resulting in ever increasing botnets with DDoS attacks happening everywhere all the time because of hordes of novices not keeping their crap up to date.

At the very least, make it a well hidden boot option. Where you have to enable it from the F8 menu each and every time like disabling driver signature enforcement. That will ensure that only those who know what they are doing can customize their updates.

7. badboy

badboy MDL Junior Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Can you name any other OS that forces updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. robE

robE MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    This is somewhat stupid but i can understand to some extent. What i don't understand and i'm very against, is windows 10 updating my nvidia drivers and other s**t stuff that comes through windows update, seriously?. I really hope M$ will reconsider or at least install only security/critical updates and not every s**tty optional updates. :mad:

9. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    The updates are only for Microsoft Windows, not for other products from other vendors.

10. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    OS X, Linux, Android, iOS.............more?

11. robE

robE MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    #31 robE, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Well, i really hope so :D, I just hope they will test updates more because there were some faulty ones in the past.

Depends on your definition of forced updates, i don't see that how long you have a button on which it writes "update" or "install" can mean "forced updates". All the examples you gave, offer this button/option

Attached Files:

• osx.png
      osx.png
      File size:
      136.5 KB
      Views: