Windows 10 Hotfix Repository

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tito, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Nobody should create a new uptodate iso only to do an inplace/repair upgrade to get the new updates installed.

Nobody forces anybody to create a new uptodate ISO, people do it for their own reasons.

Try WU on a clean 2015 or 2016 LTSB install, using the first and only released ISOs.

From the posts with test results people can learn a lot about how to integrate updates (online/offline) in the best possible way (even for those who don't use W10UI at all).

2. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    #12022 donmiller, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    You're right, but we are forced to wade through all the postings, which sometimes seem extraneous.
    'Not interested in old LTSx versions, not even for educational reasons. This isn't a kiosk.
    Maybe you could change this to the Hotfix Educational thread, since it is used for that. :)

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Go to OP of this thread, there are the links to the Updates Overviews published.

4. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    I'll probably go to the OP first, but keep-in-mind that others post valuable msu/cab links and advice in the running thread.
    I don't see this thread as being about overviews or a few people. :)

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    This thread is for all related to Updates discussion.

What other msu/cab links, other than microcode updates?

And all separate posts will always go into oblivion unless @Tito will index them at the OP.

6. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    I said, "You're right, but we are forced to wade through all the postings, which sometimes seem extraneous."
    By extraneous, I was referring to all the "logs" and "script tests" that make this thread feel like it's not even a Hotfix thread.

Then You said, "Go to OP of this thread, there are the links to the Updates Overviews published."
    As if I could do this to avoid extraneous content.

Then I said, "I'll probably go to the OP first, but keep-in-mind that others post valuable msu/cab links and advice in the running thread." (Such as FXP links).
    I can't avoid what I perceive as content that is extraneous to this thread because I'm looking at everybody's posts to get to valuable information other than logs and script outputs. So the suggestion to "Go to OP of this thread.." is moot.

Hey, it's your thread. If you want it to be
    Enthousiasts ISO-of-the-Week club, then OK.
    OR
    Enthousiasts Hotfix Education thread, then OK.

That's your choice. :)

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why did i already expect the personalisation :thinking;

All posts are about updates, updates, updates and updates....and MDL's own W10UI updating tool (hosted in this thread).

I didn't set this up, it was this way when i became active.

FxP links are present in the 20H1/2 / 21H1 Updates Overview.

ps
    I was first running in the beta channel to fetch them manually and upload them to a filehost to be able to publish them here, then i asked @awuctl first (didn't want to update UUP dump for them to be available), i nagged @abbodi1406 to find a way to find them and @luzea, when he took over UUP dump, to make it available on UUP dump, now they are easy to find on UUP dump and published here in one overview, containing all updates to create a 100% updated ISO or online install.

8. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    Updates are sometimes revealed in the running thread postings first, and then they appear in the overviews, regardless of the type of update or source. So I have to look at all the thread content including all the logs, script tests, etc. that will shortly be obsolete when the next SSU/LCU is released which will trigger more logs, script tests, etc.

So you say it's "...about updates, updates, updates and updates." But sometimes it seems like it's really about:
    "Logs, script test output, videos, logs, script test output, videos, etc."

Lather rinse repeat!:)

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    All contain updates related info.

i am done defending my part of the participation, go nag the staff about it and see what they think about it all.

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Personally, I'm integrating updates only if they fix important issues, like security vulnerabilities, the chkdsk problem or the inplace-upgrade issue. Otherwise, I'm usually going with basic.

11. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    I agree with your update style. It seems practical to me. :)

12. usro

usro MDL Novice

May 5, 2018
    Defending for what? You don't have to satisfy everyone. This thread is not only about applying updates to online images (OS) but also about applying updates to offline images.

13. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    I also integrate the updates into the ISO, and have the SSU less to integrate is still have that to gain :)
    But doing a lot of testing, I reinstall every 2 months or so

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I build images for a lot of people so I do test builds all the time just to make sure everything works without any surprises, like the when LCU has the SSU integrated. I like to mess around with it so when I need to work with it, nothing strange pops up.

Hardware also also changed a lot. A really fast PC with a fast internet connection makes building an up to date image a relatively quick process and since most of the process is automated, you don't even need to do much actual work.

15. ananhaid

ananhaid MDL Member

Oct 16, 2017
    small question:
    after compare official iso brand new feb's and w10ui made iso.
    the offical iso's boot.wim patched Feature Update to Windows 10 20H2 via Enablement Package (KB4562830), and w10ui not have.

16. tefor

tefor MDL Senior Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Hi Abbodi1406 and Enthousiast

I have also this problem. When i extract DU for ISO distribution to sources folder and when i try to install windows it says "no bootable media found" (or something else like this , i can not remember the exact phrase now)

Can you please explain the solution here for setup.exe conflict between boot.wim and DU for ISO distribution ?
    Thank you

17. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    1- If you update boot.wim, extract sources\setup.exe from index 2, into iso\sources

2- extract DU to temporary folder, and delete setup.exe before copying other files to iso\sources

18. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    #12038 nosirrahx, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    uuuhhhh I have been dealing with this for an hour on a new system I have never touched before, was 100% sure I had a missing boot driver.

I'm going to retry this without updating DU.

UPDATE:

Excluding the DU update fixes this issue.

19. garf02

garf02 MDL Member

Sep 15, 2007
    In Italian version, have this errors in cleanup image (both boot.wim and install.wim):

Code:
    >if exist "!mumtarget!\Windows\WinSxS\ManifestCache\*.bin" (
    takeown /f "!mumtarget!\Windows\WinSxS\ManifestCache\*.bin" /A   
     icacls "!mumtarget!\Windows\WinSxS\ManifestCache\*.bin" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F   
     del /f /q "!mumtarget!\Windows\WinSxS\ManifestCache\*.bin"  
    )

>if exist "!mumtarget!\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes\*" (
    takeown /f "!mumtarget!\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes\*" /A   
     icacls "!mumtarget!\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes\*" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F   
     del /f /q "!mumtarget!\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes\*"  
    )

INFORMAZIONI: impossibile trovare file o cartelle nel percorso specificato.
    Elaborazione completata per 0 file. Elaborazione non riuscita per 0 file

The folder PendingDeletes in wim file created is empty, because this errors?
    I have used Debug for checking this errors, in attahcment the complete log debug file

Attached Files:

20. usro

usro MDL Novice

May 5, 2018
    Adding DU-source which contains the setup.exe update (eg KB4599861), only into the source folder on the installation media will cause the problem of missing media drivers during installation due to a mismatch of the setup.exe version between what's in the source folder in index:2 of the boot.wim and what's in the source folder on the installation media.

To avoid this you need to copy the update of the setup.exe with its dependencies (eg setup.exe, setupcompat.dll, setupcore.dll, setuphost.exe, setupmgr.dll, setupplatform.dll, setupplatform.exe, setupprep.exe) or simply copy only the update of the setup.exe from DU-source into the source folder at index:2 of the boot.wim too.

Or simply delete the setup.exe update from DU-source before copying it into the source folder on the installation media as abbodi suggests, so you don't have to copy the same file into the source folder at index:2 of the boot.wim.