Windows 10 Hotfix Repository

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tito, Oct 1, 2014.

1. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    It looks like in the "ps" to the following link that you're saying that you did an inplace upgrade and enrolled in the RP channel. So what do you mean by enrolled in this context?

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-10-hotfix-repository.57050/page-696#post-1747862

There has been no time that I've installed Windows 10 from any source that I have not been automatically enrolled in some default update channel.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I said I've enrolled into the RP channel to see if any LCU would get offered in there because in the retail channel nothing got re-offered.

3. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    Why would anything get re-offered at this point? The GA and RP channels are both on 19044.1865. Wow, what a surprise, no re-offering!

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Re-offering the already installed/integrated LCU, did you forget what this was about?

5. Ek2

Ek2 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2016
    W10UI currently handles 22H2 EP on Windows 10 LTSC (19044), which occurs error 0x800f081e. needs fix?

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No, a LTSC release is meant to stay on the major build it was released on, 19044.xxxx, it doesn't get feature updates no real ones nor fake ones like by EP.

7. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    It definitely doesn't cause any problems because it can't. Every time I look into this the one and only change to my system is the creation of a new folder in the LCU folder.

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Yeah I can grab some screen shots. I did some testing of Windows 11 the other day on a system that is going back to Windows 10. When I install I'll grab the before and after screen shots before and after checking WU.

Unrelated but the testing was for a Intel network driver update that seems to break on Windows 10 but works on 11. I confirmed the bug so will be reverting back.

9. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    #13929 donmiller, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    The only time there's been a "re-offering" (as you call it) of the LCU is when a UUPDump ISO is used for the installation. For me, when other ISOs are used for the install, there's never been a "re-offering" of the LCU. This is just one of the reasons that I haven't used a UUPDump ISO for an install, in a long time. Further discussion ends here...

10. Silent_Warrior

Silent_Warrior MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2018
    #13930 Silent_Warrior, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Same problem here too! It is a bit frustrating and seems somewhat counterproductive, you being very careful to build an ISO with all the latest updates available. Whatever the reason: to save time and/or reduce the consumption of Internet traffic.

And in the end, you will be "surprised" that the WU (just check the WU logs or monitor its activity via resmon) "re-offered" the LCU again. :animatedfear:

Thanks to the help obtained here, I was able to understand that this problem can be "triggered" by:
    • After manually cleaning the LCU folder (Thanks to @Enthousiast and @nosirrahx comments);
    • Pending flags after ISO handling (dism) and integration (CABs) updates;
    • FoD enabled or modified (Language Pack, updated Edge version, dotNET Framework 3.5);
    • Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO).
    Just like the MDL colleagues, I would like to find an elegant solution to this issue! Until then, at least I can be conformed. ;)

11. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    I notice this happening all the time with the 1809 version, LTSC desktop and/or server when I install an update outside of WU, like WSUS or manual installation of msu or cab and scanning with WUMT against WU after the installation. The server in particular has something to object to the installation and many times the WU offering actually fails either repeatedly or only once after which is no longer offered. Nothing to do with the distribution media of the original installation obviously. :)

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  13. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Related to what people are talking about here.... You can also sometimes cause this to happen if you manually clean out your LCU folder. If you have been installing CUs for many many months, the LCU folder gets absolutely huge so people sometimes delete the contents. If you do this, sometimes the last CU will be re-offered and its LCU folder will be recreated.

14. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I can't figure out right now, is this black humor or do you really mean it?
    Black humor is of course good, but it is not suitable for use everywhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    He is correct about that, the only thing is that this doesn't relate to what the original situation was, after installing updates for many months is not right after install.

16. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Not sure what you mean. If you have been in IT for a long time you have seen countless cases of people with this exact line of thinking:

"folder huge"
    "don't know folder"
    "delete folder"

17. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Its the lack of any CUs unpacked in the LCU folder in both cases triggering the same re-offer. It is a different path to the same conclusion.

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The situation "right after install the already present lcu get's re-offered" is quite a big difference to a long running install re-offering a lcu, which btw is for the same reason: updating something that has changed at fod/language components.

19. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I don't think we are on the same page because this is really quite simple.

OS on current build with updates integrated, fresh install -> current CU is re-downloaded and unpacked to LCU, no reboot is required.
    OS on current build with updates installed, LCU folder is deleted -> current CU is re-downloaded and unpacked to LCU, no reboot is required.

The only thing that is required to see this is to have the LCU folder completely empty and manually checking WU.

20. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It looks like you are overworked, take some rest.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...