Windows 10 Imaging, Customization and Deployment

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by arseny92, Jan 31, 2015.

1. KingAlex

KingAlex MDL Junior Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Thanks there. In my part of the world I cannot download the whole adk at home as my internet is s**t here. Even if I go out it'll take some time (days really). I wish someone can download the ADK for Win 10 and upload it to a site where I can download it safely and with continuity even if the downloader crashes.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. Mavericks Choice

Mavericks Choice MDL Guru

Aug 5, 2015
    Cannot seem to get passed this logon screen using autologon in oobe have checked & double checked my info even with wsim too!

5. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Your local/keyboard layout needs entered in the Specialize, oobeSystem and WindowsPE passes. If it's not also added to OOBE, it will "pause" the unattended installation, request that OOBE information, and then resume the unattended installation following your locality setup.

Also, using the numerical value can cause a fully unattended installation to require its input changed to its respective letter value. en-US should be the value placed in all fields corresponding to the system language since you're using US English, en-GB for Great Britain, etc. Windows' setup can get picky with the numerical values sometimes.

SkipMachineOOBE and SkipUserOOBE still works as intended - primarily for server deployment - but also for regular unattended installations on a single client system. OOBE's unattended entries must be filled properly in order to bypass Windows Welcome to go from the automated install beginning and then finalizing with either the login screen or auto-login.

The answer file I posted works as it should for MDT deployment, Windows Server Deployment, and regular autounattend installation via ISO/USB on v1607 and v1703. Likewise, you can also tweak it so only local account setup is available and not OEM or Microsoft Account setup, etc.

It'd probably also be beneficial to add either a Synchronous command within the answer file to del /Q /F c:\windows\panther\unattend.xml since Windows will store the answer file. If you have any other sensitive data on it that does not allow for <PlainText>false</PlainText> - like Domain join and Domain account passwords - you'll want to have that file automatically deleted duing first boot. Frankly it's best to have it deleted regardless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    #486 GodHand, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Auto-logon must match your local account, or the built-in administrator account identically. Do not enter a domain, add Enabled to "true," set LogonCount to whatever you require - you can max it out with 9's if you want it to be "unlimited." Make sure the UserName is identical to the local account's Name (not DisplayName, if they're different) and make sure you've entered your group as "Administrators." Also make sure your passwords are identical.

If these still do not work then I'd start changing Asynchronous commands to Synchronous commands to see if somehow all the first boot commands running at once is somehow interfering with the autologon process, or transfer them to a SetupComplete.cmd within $OEM$\Setup\Scripts which will autorun without any answer file direction.

**EDIT**

I just ran this and auto-logon worked perfectly fine, as well as Asynchronous commands:

Code:
                <AutoLogon>
                    <Password>
                        <Value>testing123</Value>
                        <PlainText>true</PlainText>
                    </Password>
                    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
                    <LogonCount>3</LogonCount>
                    <Username>Temp</Username>
                </AutoLogon>
                <UserAccounts>
                    <LocalAccounts>
                        <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
                            <Password>
                                <Value>testing123</Value>
                                <PlainText>true</PlainText>
                            </Password>
                            <Description>Temporary local account.</Description>
                            <DisplayName>Temp</DisplayName>
                            <Group>Administrators</Group>
                            <Name>Temp</Name>
                        </LocalAccount>
                    </LocalAccounts>
                </UserAccounts>

Remember, this info needs to be at the oobeSystem pass, not the Specialize pass.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi GodHand very good posts thanks for useful info dude :)

8. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Heh no problem. I'm actually making and adding a handful to my server right now for when people want to pull a certain OS off the network to install so it literally takes me about 50-60 seconds to test one on a VM from start to finish.

9. Tard

Tard MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2012
    Tho this is not Macrium Reflect topic, I will answer you..
    The answer can be found on Macrium's knowledgebase.. :)
    Since I can not post links, google for: knowledgebase macrium
    then on search (in macrium's knowledgebase web-page...) enter: winpe offline
    and select the first result..
    after following the instructions, you will find your boot.wim at:
    Code:
    C:\boot\macrium\WA10KFiles\media\sources

10. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    #492 GodHand, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    1) Remove <servicing></servicing> at the top. Empty entries like that are a no-no with answer files.

2) You should not be mixing up OS architectures. You have x86 and amd64 settings added at identical passes, including the critical oobe pass.

3) You have the audit (sysprep) pass added. You cannot have an answer file being told to enter audit mode while also being told to complete oobe.

Some info: An answer file for audit mode to help sysprep the machine is very basic. An audit mode answer file is designed to reduce your time spent editing Windows' settings by auto-booting you into audit mode and adding settings that will be transferred with copyprofile to reduce the time you need to spend manually doing it. Moreover, oobe's pass should also not be added to an audit answer file other than to assign the default language of the machine.

4) You also have 0C09:00000409 (en-AU) set as your system's input language across all passes but the others set to en-US. You can't mix up languages like that, no matter how alike they are.

Also at the WinPE pass your disk configuration and setup has contradictions.

5) Offline servicing is for audit mode answer files, with a very small exception to server answer files that are deployed to service client machines.

Honestly this answer file is an absolute mess. It's no wonder it won't complete.

Get rid of the passes that contradict the type of answer file this is suppose to be and make sure there are no entries like the <services></services> where no information is added. Having <services> undefined like that will fubar your installation even if the rest of the answer file entries are spot on.

And as a side note, If this is an answer file for a live system install, <DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar> across passes is completely unnecessary. Though that can be added to specialize and generalize and oobe passes, really its only worth is at the audit pass so it can be used with CopyProfile=true

11. Mavericks Choice

Aug 5, 2015
    @GodHand
    You were absolutely spot on about the:
    I should have found this!! :rolleyes:

Rectified the other input lang & the empty string with <servicing></servicing>

Is now working as I hoped & provides a workable desktop now.
    Only asks to connect to a network.

I do agree I have made a huge mess of this mostly out of frustration I think!!

Thank you very much ;)

12. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Best rule of thumb is to start small and then increase answer files' complexity as you learn how the passes affect the system. Though answer files are not that complex, one thing it requires is a linear design. And with the huge amount of options available to add to passes, it's easy to just try to add everything that looks like it'd make for a great install, when in fact there will undoubtedly be contradictions across passes and SIM does not recognize contradictions and will only alert you of the most basic problems of an answer file, so it's best to not take SIM's validation of the file as proof the answer file will work as intended. Then once you understand the passes, you can make truly complex unattended installation answer files to call additional scripts during setup to basically do anything you want, as an example.

Anyways, glad it's working now.

13. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    if you want to generate the answer file easily without the need of intervening during the whole process, i suggest you to take a look at this topic => https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/how-to-generate-autounattend-xml-file-easily.74916/

it works for any windows version.

14. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Yeah that creates the most basic answer file imaginable and clutters it up by adding both the x86 and x64 architectures. Honestly, if you have SIM installed why not spend the additional 3-4 minutes creating an answer file you want, with proper disk configurations and the like? And since he has SIM installed, suffice it to say he wanted to make his own and by making his own, not having it work, and finding out why it didn't work, he learned something to boot.

Generators are not always the best routes to go, but to each his own.

15. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    #497 mehdibleu, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    i just wanted to be nice and tell him that it exists a way to generate the answer file easily with all setup options already configured as he seemed to have some trouble to get the answer file work correctly, he didn't manage to hide network option during the installation so i offered him an easy solution to generate it very quickly and already set with basic windows options.
    Yes one can only approve to what you just said and if you want to make your own configuration and learn , better to do it manually but as far as i know SIM allows to generate the answer file as well, the only difference is that you have to first apply manually all necessary option setup that you want but in this case we can talk about answer file generator as well.
    He can generate the answer file with both ways (the one i mentionned in my topic and SIM), that does not prevent him of using both answer (see the content) files and compare them to see all options used into both answer files.

16. Mavericks Choice

Aug 5, 2015
    Thanks, I have been creating & modifying answer files since xp. Including Vista, 7, 8, & 8.1.
    Have used my older xml's as a base for Win 10 & ran into a few problems as advised by Godhand who was able to steer me in the right direction. Hopefully others will benefit from this too.

17. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #500 abbodi1406, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    I was checking in DISM related DLLs and found interesting hidden parameters
    some seems to exist since Windows 8.1 Update, i wonder why they didn't document it so far

All - export all indexes at once
    Code:
    dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:install.wim /All /DestinationImageFile:install2.wim
    dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:install.wim /All /DestinationImageFile:install.esd /Compress:recovery
    display staged editions (target editions for current one and any of target ones)
    Code:
    dism /Online /Get-StagedEditions
    dism /Image:C:\Mount /Get-StagedEditions
    Compress levels aliases:
    Code:
    none
    fast/xpress
    max/maximum/lzx
    WIMBoot export compress levels:
    Code:
    fast4
    XPRESS HUFFMAN - chunk size: 4096

xpresshuff
    XPRESS HUFFMAN - chunk size: 32768
    below are new in Windows 10 and works with Capture-Image only:

CreateTime - specify wim image creation time (which appears in boot setup menu)
    Code:
    dism /Capture-Image /CreateTime:"2017-06-24 17:50:58" /ImageFile:install.wim /CaptureDir:W: /Name:"Windows 10" /Description:"Windows 10" /Compress:max
    i wish they added a parameter for modification time as well

GUID - specify wim image GUID
    Code:
    dism /Capture-Image /GUID:{CF74ADB0-C1E4-4A13-964D-AD30BBC0D24D} /ImageFile:install.wim /CaptureDir:W: /Name:"Windows 10" /Description:"Windows 10" /Compress:max
    use can imagex to read it from other wim file if you want to duplicate it

NoAcl - do not capture ACL security permissions
    require one of three 3 arguments: all, files, dirs
    Code:
    dism /Capture-Image /NoAcl:all /ImageFile:install.wim /CaptureDir:W: /Name:"Windows 10" /Description:"Windows 10" /Compress:max
    you can include them all in one command (i mean createtime, guid, noacl)