Windows 10 is free for life?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Ganoo, Mar 24, 2015.

1. d.perryjr

d.perryjr MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2015
    I'm curious exactly what " And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge." means?

2. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Does a $14.99 win 8 licence offered at win 8 release , qualify for free upgrade ?

I mean downloadable file capable of being reinstalled .

" supported lifetime of the device " - I hope it does not refer to life of motherboard or Hard Drive . Thank you .

3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    since these licenses were legal you should be able to upgrade to W10 for free. How they handle a clean install is out of my knowledge but as long as they have a telephone line, it should be possible even from scratch

4. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    It's microsoft your talking about :rolleyes:

5. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    It does make sense if you need everyone on the right version of the OS (e.g. Windows 10), to bring in a subscription model on a latter version (e.g. Windows 11)

It would also make sense if they could get rid of all the older versions of Windows out there. As compatibility with versions as far back as XP must cost them a fortune. Could be possible that they'd save enough by removing that burden to still make money by giving Windows 10 away. :confused:

I think this is way they left Enterprise version out of the 'Free' upgrade list.

I think that's what Terry was trying to say/do with the 'pirates getting the upgrade' comment, but it was either miss-understood or the lawyers got to him :biggrin:

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    The supported life of the OS has always been when MS stops supporting it i.e. 'End of Life'
    The supported life of the Device has always been when the MoBo dies. As changing that is what MS classes as a New Device.
    And like all companies, they go with the shortest one. :(

7. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    When XP came out , license was tied to machine and one needed to call MS ( phone) if some thing major was replaced , like MBD,HD . thank you.

8. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    That is the question , every time a MBD fails or I change it to better one , do I have to buy new license . In Win 7 I could change them at will .

9. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Yup, Device=mobo... but then there has always been phone-bot ... unless they change that as well...:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    It will likely work the same way as it always did, your Mobo dies? Windows asks for activation? You simply reactivate even if it may require a call.
    On the other hand, buy a Laptop and your Laptop dies? You can't take the license (legally) to a new PC but are required to aquire a new license... which comes with your new laptop anyway, no big deal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. DAS-1192

DAS-1192 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2015
    I purchased Windows 8.1 retail, I am planning on purchasing a new motherboard. Does Microsoft take requests to transfer a license to a new motherboard? I have read some people have perhaps done it but I am not sure. My reasoning behind this is to then have Windows 10 on the new motherboard with the first-year upgrade offer.

12. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #52 coleoptere2007, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Install W8.1 on the new hardware with your key, then you can call them for the activation process if you have problem.

13. mdlifernoob

mdlifernoob MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2015
    "lifetime of the device"... meaning the license can't be transferred to a new computer.
    That'd suck balls!!

14. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I haven't used or read the Licence for the Retail version for a while, but you used to be able to move it from one PC to another. It is/was the OEM version that is locked to the MoBo.

15. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    The System builder version but that was W7, and in europe the licensing agreement was invalid, cba to read the W8 licesing but i think they already had it changed there or with 8.1 don't remember.
    Thing is, you as consumer literally don't have to care. It activates just fine, the licensing agreement is there so 3rd parties can't resell the licenses taken from PCs which is also why W8.0 dropped the CoA sticker. Most people are never even going to read these. You really just don't have to care, Microsoft is not going to knock on your door because you re-used your own license :rolleyes:

16. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I think I may have used one or two 'Other Peoples' licenses back in the W2K and XP days.
    So I may still get that knock on the door. :eek:

But, yeah your right MS are looking out for major copyright/license infringement not for customers moving their Windows install around. ;)

17. MyDigitalLifeContributor

Apr 13, 2015
    #57 MyDigitalLifeContributor, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    Supported Lifetime means for as long as Microsoft supports it, not for the lifetime of the device as some would lead you to believe! Hope this clears things up for you! :biggrin:

18. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    the life time will drop at windows 11, m$oft will surely think of something to break their "parole" not impressed at all ... hack their windows, be non genuine ... it will still be free ... etc...

sorry but rings Bulls**t to my ears and eyes

19. GTK48

GTK48 MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2009
    What happens if your MOBO fails?

20. GTK48

GTK48 MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2009
    An OS is NOT a device..