Windows 10 LTSB for Dental Office PC

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by vernontan, Dec 10, 2017.

1. vernontan

vernontan MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2017
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of installing Windows 10 LTSB for a new PC build in the office. The PC will be connected to a digital X-ray machine via Cat 6 cable. The primary (and probably only) function of the PC is to process the X-ray images and save them. Other client PCs on the same network will be able to access the images from this PC.

The idea of being able to run a lean and responsive OS sounds very appealing to me hence the thought of installing Windows 10 LTSB. In fact, I first came across this version of Windows while looking up for compatible OS for a RAID controller (megaraid-sas-9286cv-8e). This is understandable as I have read elsewhere that some RAID controllers have stopped working after new Windows feature updates.

I understand that Intel 8th gen processors (Coffee Lake) will not be supported which is a shame as I intend to build a PC based on that. I was wondering whether there is a "workaround" to get the Coffee Lake processors to work on Windows 10 LTSB? (ie. manual feature update?)

The components I had in mind are as follows:
    1) i5-8400 processor
    2) H300 series motherboard? (early next year)
    3) 500GB SSD x2 (RAID 1)
    4) Megaraid 9286cv-be raid card
    5) 8GB RAM
    6) GTX 1060 GPU (might be overkill but recommended by vendor to speed up image processing)
    7) Additional network card to connect to X-ray machine

The reason I'm running 2 SSDs in RAID 1 is that I hope to minimise/eliminate downtime in the event of hard drive failure. The system will be backed up to an external hard drive on a regular basis.

Cheers!

2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    First, LTSB is no more responsive than Pro. Fact. Second, you will need to get a license for it which I don't think is possible for one machine. You do NOT want to install anything illegal on a business computer. Perhaps a better alternative would be Enterprise, but Pro will do just fine. Again, you do not want to have an illegal install on a business machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    if you own the clinic and hence the expenses are on you, buy a digital license from online vendors (its like $20-30) for win10 pro. Rest all is mentioned in the comment above mine :D

4. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Also, you can use NTLite tools that you can strip it to put few needs requirement for Windows 10 (Pro) Be sure you use properly Digital License for each computer so you can deploy it.. Good idea have RAID 1 level on SSD 500GB, Also Nivida card GTX 1060 is over killed, you can use 9xx series one (2 HDMI)

I had client who has same thing.. I made micro case ATX factor and works charm with i5 Quad with 8GB ram and RAID 1!! They use Nvida GTX 960 (Low profile with HDMI and DVI)

5. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I also had LTSB running and wanted to buy software on it, but installing it on LTSB required me to pay a lot more as it sees the this windows version as a big enterprise - went back to Win 10 Pro.

6. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I use LTSB 2015 as my base OS and know several others that do also... he ask for a where to find ACCESS to a ISO. I did send him a link to :)