Windows 10, MBR and CHKDSK problems

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by alemax, Aug 16, 2015.

1. alemax

alemax MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2011
    After Windows 10 installation, MBR of other 2 disks (Windows 7) are destroyed and booting from usual Windows 7 disk requires CHKDSK
    My PC configuration
    Sabertooth X58 mother board (last BIOS v. 1402), 3 ssd system disk 120 go, 2 data disk 1to and 2to.
    On each SSD W7 ultimate 64 is installed, DAZ activated. The W10 logo update is present
    Windows 10 installation
    I used the media creation tool from microsoft to create a "Windows10_Pro(64).iso" .
    W10 Installation ** internet always connected **
    The installation, worked fine (update mode), I get a windows 10 system activated with all the programs I had in W7.
    I check some of them and all seems ok. I decide to come back to my usual W7 system and restart the PC.
    During POST I press the F8 key to select the boot device but no choice has appeared and the PC has started with
    Windows 10.
    I finally find that W7 MDR has been destroyed. I restored it from an Acronis backup and boot again from W7 SSD.
    System then prompts me to check the Hard disk (chkdsk)

I find an answer for CHKDSK in the forum "Windows 10->Windows Chkdsk problem"
    "You have to disable the hybrid shutdown on W8 or W10 to avoid the annoying checkdisk thing".
    and "Google "windows 8 volume compatibility" (can't post links)
    Same applies to Windows 10. Disable fast startup from Windows 10 power options if you dual boot like this.
    "
    [/COLOR]
    for MDR problem that sentence "No during the install, only one hard disk was plagued to my pc (what you said happened to me once many years ago and I learned my lesson)" caught my attention

Should I unplugg all the other disks during Windows 10 installation ? can you please explain the reason ?
    Thanks in advance
    Alemax

:(I hope my English is understandable

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Just use easybcd to manage the dual boot from the w10 bootloader, and disable the hybrid shutdown on W10 to get rid of the unwanted chkdsk

That's all you need.

3. alemax

alemax MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2011
    #3 alemax, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    (OP)
    Think you that EasyBcD should solve the PB of the Win7 MBRs destroyed during the 1st installation of Win10 ?
    What about automatic restart during windows 10 installation, before disabling automatic shutdown ?

Is it not preferable, by security, to disconnect the other drives during Win10 installation ?

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I think you aren't talking about MBR but about the bootloader entry.

Just recreate it with easy bcd. Better to use the newer bootloader when OSes are mixed

Could be worth precaution. But this way, surely w10 dont add the W7 items to its bootloaer, you have to do it later with easybcd (or manually with bcdedit).

With

5. alemax

alemax MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2011
    #5 alemax, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    (OP)
    You are certainly right, but I had to restore the MBR of my Win7 disk to boot with my usual system win 7.

I use a multi boot system (each system has it's own disk) but I choose the OS I want to start via the BIOS and not via a boot loader like Esasy Bcd. In this way I believe that each system disk uses the boot loader entry of its own MBR.
    So Win10 will boot with the newer bootloader coming with win10
    So,for safety, it should be possible to disconnect the other drives.
    I am wrong ?

What would be the advantages of using EasyBcd ?

6. schlypy

schlypy MDL Novice

May 23, 2018
    #6 schlypy, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    delete sry!