windows 10 msconfig

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by marchy, Nov 27, 2016.

1. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Under services, which services are absolutely necessary to be STARTED? Can I disable certain ones?

2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    My experience has shown that disabling even a lot of services makes negligible difference in performance, while considerable risks are hidden behind inter-dependencies.

Consequently, my advice is to leave services alone, and seek other more effective and safer ways to increase system performance.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    OP needs to say his goals: performance or security, in the first place.

However, I agree. For performance he could go the hardware route, it requires $$ though.

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    well in my modest opinion first you need good knowledge in services.msc, although in gpedit.msc (if using PRO or Enterprise versions) can explain in more details severals items related so using reasoning you decide; in contrary don't make changes;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Adding more (hardware) memory is highly effective, but much can be achieved without hardware upgrades.

Examples are: Defragment (not SSD), update drivers, uninstall programs not used, replace those used with lighter ones, stop apps from unnecessarily starting with the system, reduce gimmicks & visual effects, avoid browser addons, etc.