Windows 10 new install asks me to set Customized Settings twice, why?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 90, Nov 3, 2015.

1. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I never said the issue was due to formatting, just pointing out that it's the worst thing to do when clean installing. Can you explain what testing you've done to show it's not a corruption drive issue.

2. N0t1s

N0t1s MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Hi 90 & all,

I experienced the same issue every time I tried a fresh install of Windows 10 from ISO having my Eth cable disconnected. Connecting my Eth cable first worked for me.

For sure, it does not seem to me it is a virus or something like that.

Hope this helps, but I don't think this is a major issue. Even in that case, the OS seems to install and work almost as expected.

3. embasie

embasie MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2013
    Sorry I can't yet post a link. But the title is "OOBE Issue During Install"

4. Paulsen

Paulsen MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    I've seen that issue many times, at least in my case, all occurrences happen when the computer is plugged to the network while performing the setup. Never seen it when the computers are unplugged.

6. JakeBickel

JakeBickel MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I've installed Win 10 many times on different machines. Sometimes it asks once. Sometimes it asks twice. I never plug in the network until install is complete. Who knows why?

7. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #27 KNARZ, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Formating Problem: BS
    "Motherboard Virus": BS

odiebugs is expert and advises such BS? wtf?

Seems to be a Bug. Expierienced it several times and yes I guess it has to do with network connection while oobe.

8. 90

90 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2015
    #28 90, Nov 4, 2015
    (OP)
    Good that many others are experiencing same problem.
    Bad that nobody knows why it is happening.
    It is not to do with network connection, I have network cable unplugged the entire install, there is no way it could be downloading critical updates and restarting.
    It did not happen when I installed Windows 10 the first time on the PC, it now happens every time after.
    Am I the only one worried about possible virus? Isn't Windows 10 installation the best time for a virus in the hardware to plant itself in the OS?
    Link:
    motherboard.vice.com/read/the-only-way-you-can-delete-this-nsa-malware-is-to-smash-your-hard-drive-to-bits
    arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

9. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    What has oobe asking twice to do with nsa? You are that much a person of interesst?

10. 90

90 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2015
    I am thinking window of opportunity arises for virus to install after customizing settings and right before creating username. Reboot and second customizing settings is necessary for virus to anchor to OS. Why else does this strange problem occur on seemingly random computers? And why does it not happen to a computer on first install, then happen to it every time after with nothing else changing?

11. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Installation bug, accept it and move on until it's fixed.

Have also experienced the same when installed W10 for someone, as others have said, customize settings - reboot and had to customize settings again, then installation continued and completed fine.

@90 - Paranoia may be taking a hold don't you think!?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    That's really paranoid. I'm wondering why your using Windows 10, given that it's spying on you.
    How many times do you want to reinstall on the same PC? Whats wrong with Reset/Refresh?

13. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You might want to look into hooked on phonics, has a cute purple dinosaur teaching reading skills.
    Not sure, but I shouldn't need to post it wasn't due to formatting 20 times.

You did make a wise decision, when you can't figure out a problem you call it a bug. The user settings are not getting written first time, it's why it reboots to same customize screen and needs to be done again.

Keep formatting from NTFS to NTFS for a clean install, lol.

14. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #34 xinso, Nov 4, 2015
    It is normal for me BEFORE update rolled out.

15. 90

90 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2015
    It was normal for me at launch, obviously before update roll out. But every install I had network unplugged. How does the W10 installer know now, with network unplugged, there are updates rolled out now?

16. crsky

crsky MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2008
    wired, if i don't input key, it will be twice, but if do input the key at that time, it will be once.
    but it seems your situation doesn't match my experience.

not sure if TH2 can solve that bug or not.

17. embasie

embasie MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2013
    I always input the key at install and unplugged the network, yet it would still ask me twice.

I even let the installer do it's checking and wait till there are no harddisk activity before I even input anything, yet it would still ask me twice.

But when I do it virtually, it doesn't ask twice.

Could be hardware device driver issue. I'm using full UEFI support with ultra fast boot and secure boot.

18. HelpMe

HelpMe MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I had this issue as well when i was installing the 10240 Enterprise LTSB in a vm, after i configured my settings the first time and left the pc for a few minutes, when i came back, i had to customize the settings again.

19. 90

90 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Anyone can confirm if this "bug" still happens with the 1511 TH2 iso?

20. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    On a previously affected machine with 10240, it doesn't now with a 10586 iso. But again, neither with 10240 refresh homebrew isos.