Windows 10 on 1 GB RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by fadingstar, Mar 2, 2017.

1. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    I always notice when i failed to configure a test VM to use more than the default 2 GB ... no way to use properly :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. antonio8909

antonio8909 MDL Guru

Feb 16, 2014
    I have my Toshiba NB300 (1gb ram) with Windows 7 Ultimate and now I'm going to update it to the latest Insider Preview build because I think it can handle it

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I don't know anything about xnview. I actually never heard of it. Windows 10 has its own native apps for viewing pictures. By running well I mean while it is not a lean, mean, screaming machine, it is not horribly slow, and can be used to do basic computer tasks without issues. Of course it is slow, but not unbearably slow.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Never even tried to imply it would be impossible. I only stated that in my tests it just failed while performing some basic tasks (what i consider them being) like checking a picture folder or browsing websites with FF.

Default Windows 'picture apps' are lacking most basic features a viewer should have, i.e. recognizing unsual formats, comfortable mouse navigation and conversion abilities (preferrable batch style).

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    For viewing (plus simple slideshow) use old simple and good Windows Photo Viewer, it is still there and works perfectly.

6. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    with a SSD will work fine for pic viewing and things like that, anything else YIKES no way man to slow for apps:aerobueke:

7. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Plz Dawgy don't upset him about the hideous metro junk, thank heavens you didn't mention the awful monstrosity that is the W10 start menu or you would really have upset him! :nono3:

8. maverick09

maverick09 MDL Junior Member

May 30, 2012
    you need XP :mushy:

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Much Metro works great. I use many very excellent apps. Also Start Menu is beautiful. It is absolutely awesome.

10. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    You have issues

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows 64bit with just 1GB RAM is working, just slow and no really multitasking!

I also use a Wisebook Tablet with Windows 10Home and 32 GB Storage and 2GB RAM, which works quite well. Even with RAdmin, it's still working quite good! Planning to upgrade to Pro because of the Network and a few other limits of the Home version, just that would need quite some hours. At the moment I've some jobs with Hardware Firewalls and that Tablet helps me quite a lot with it's 3G! That 3G works on that Tablet with Windows 10 Home even better as before using a 3G WiFi Router, the speed is nearly double! But with just 1GB of RAM, it wouldn't be do the jobs I need it for, and that's just 32 bit! I tested the lower Version of that Tablet which has just 8.9" instead of the 10.1" mine has and just 1 GB of RAM, for near the half price of mine, of course!

And just to tell, Windows 10 Home 32Bit, would even work with just 512MB RAM! I saw that the other day in Bangkoks Pantip Plaza! Horrible slow, just run!

12. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    I think you know what I mean, but in case you are not, x86 can handle upto 4GB of RAM, no more.
    The OS wont run well with at least 2GB.
    You got 1GB, try linux, it run well and FAST even with 256MB.

13. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    #33 dhjohns, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @Enthousiast
    sorry dude, but I disagree when working with only 1GB ram system seem one snail ;)

15. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    1 GB ... what year is it? :biggrin:

16. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    OK, the bottom line is, you get up in morning, turn your PC on, then yawn, stretch, head to make some coffee, put coffee on and decide to get your 3 kids up because it's a school day, yes the wife too. After that you head outside for your morning paper. After getting paper you head back to kitchen for your morning coffee where your happy boisterous kids are getting ready for their breakfast. You chit chat with kids & wife awhile and decide to take shower while wifey gets kids off to school (there kinda loud and playing with their food). So after shower you head back to kitchen for second cup of coffee, the wife has finished feeding the kids but not soon enough to catch school bus. So you put shoes on, tell your wonderful little darling's to load up for ride to school. Man what a trip, (between the singing row, row, row your boat, the screaming, fighting, playing) well you were very happy when you arrived at the school and dropped the little monsters darlings off. Now at home again you head back for a cup of coffee to take to living room where PC is to catch up on the news before you head off to work, you sit down in your easy chair turn on your monitor, you click on EDGE browser and you know only 5 minutes more EDGE will be up, all of a sudden your whole monitor turns Green with some error msg about RAM, well it's time for work so you turn computer off, the moral of the story was said by the man who made post above mine.:rolleyes:

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Add SSD to that 1GB RAM machine and you shouldn't have an issue

I had a 1GB 32bit Win 10 tablet, 1280x800 resolution, 32GB SSD, and it was a pleasure to use for normal browsing, normal Windows use, even some games were fine

Your machine is going to be thrashing the pagefile, so HDD = no no with 1GB, but SSD = fine

18. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I've got Windows 10 Home x86 running well on an old Asus Eee PC 1000HE Netbook. By "well" I means it's is a little slow to startup but for surfing and doing low end office type work (Office 2003) it's just fine. I installed W10 with 1GB RAM and that went fine too. The only reason I went to 2GB was I had the RAM so I used it. Performance with 2GB is improved, but not by much as the machine itself is the main reason for slower performance. I will not be using this Netbook for any video editing or such as I do know its limits. But as a computer to use occasionally when I need more than an iPad but less than a full blown laptop, it's just dandy.

19. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
  20. t0mn8r

t0mn8r MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Correct in my experience.