Windows 10 Product Keys & Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by crazymadanimal, Aug 2, 2015.

1. crazymadanimal

crazymadanimal MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2015
    I'm new to MDL and after browsing a huge amount of threads I've been left with a few unanswered questions I'm hoping starting this thread will answer :biggrin:

1) After upgrading from win 7 to win 8(8.1) then to win 10 on my main PC, I have product keys I believe to be valid for win 7 and win 8. Can I use my win 7 & win 8 installation media and product keys on 2 other machines?

2) After the installation shown above made on my main PC, I used Nirisoft's "Product Key" tool and discovered what my Win 10 product key is (yes i know its done by HWID online), but, should i change my motherboard, SSHD or other key piece of hardware would this "Product Key" actually work during the installation or would the telephone activation be needed after the installation has completed and the HWID activation (in theory) has failed?

I apologize to everyone if this has already been covered elsewhere and would appreciate replies showing the link to other relevant threads (if there is any).
    Thanks to all who help.

2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Question one, I don't believe anyone knows yet. However, with MS's knew approach to activation I would think that they have the ability to restrict the use of upgraded keys. Whether they will or not is to be seen.

From what I read if you change your hardware enough to require reactivation you will need to do a phone activation. If you change too much, like everything but the screws holding your power supply in I imagine you would need to purchase a new key.

I intend on upgrading all of my eligible systems but if I buy a completely new system or do a major upgrade I will buy an OEM key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    1) If key is used on one machine at time it will always work, when they are legit.

2) Needs to install the old license first, on new machine, then upgrade to Win 10.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    My question is similar, but I'd rather not start a new thread, so I'm posting it here.

I have 3 PCs which need the upgrade. I Have installed Windows 7 on each using the same ISO downloader from Microsoft and the same key, activated each using the same settings in Daz Loader, and the upgraded to Windows 10 with the same ISO dowloaded from Microsoft.

I noticed that in Windows 7, the product ID was exactly the same, even though the hardware was different in each case. Is this cause for concern? 3 PCs with the exact same OEM product ID at the same location.

5. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    No need to worry, all is well. If you are activated in Windows 10 then that's it, nothing more to it. Sounds like you did the right thing with Windows 7, Daz, upgrading, all is well.